It’s the question we get asked the most here at Coloured Hair Care – what colour should I dye my hair?
And you probably already know that it depends on a lot of important things, such as:
- The colour your hair is now
- Your natural undertones
- Whether your hair has been dyed before
- The colour you want to be
- The condition of your hair
So there’s really no easy answer. But don’t worry. In this guide, we’ll give you all the tips and tricks you need to help you work out what colour is right for you. Read on!
- 1 What hair colour is best for my skin tone?
- 2 What hair colours suit cool skin tones?
- 3 WINTER COLOURS
- 4 SUMMER COLOURS
- 5 What hair colours suit warm skin tones?
- 6 AUTUMN COLOURS
- 7 SPRING COLOURS
- 8 What hair colours suit me quiz.
- 9 What are the most popular colour trends this year?
- 10 What is the best hair dye?
- 11 Best hair dyes to use at home at a glance.
What hair colour is best for my skin tone?
Before you decide what colour you dye your hair, you need to know what will suit you.
This involves knowing whether you have cool or warm undertones.
Your undertones are your natural colouring and takes in consideration your natural hair colour, eye colour, what colour clothes suit you and even your skin tone.
If you don’t know what undertones you are, it’s easy to work out. Take a look at our checklist to see if you’re cool or warm.
If you have cool undertones:
- Your skin colour has a pale or pink tone.
- Jewel and pastel colours look great on you.
- You would never wear yellow, it washes you out.
- The veins in your wrist are blue.
- Pearls and silver jewellery look awesome on you.
- You blush easily!
If you have warm undertones:
- You naturally have red or golden shades in your hair.
- Your skin tone is golden, tan or olive.
- You prefer to wear bright or rich shades of colour.
- You might have freckles.
- You have green veins in your wrist.
- Gold jewellery looks awesome on you.
Once you’ve worked out whether your undertones are cool or warm, you can start to explore what colours will suit you.
What hair colours suit cool skin tones?
Cool undertones fall into two fabulous colour ‘season’ categories – Winter and Summer. Warm colours are Autumn and Spring!
These are the spectrum of lush cool colours that will look best on you – whether it comes to choosing clothes, make-up or hair colours. Pick Winter or Summer colours and you’ll never go wrong.
Cool hair colours
What hair colours suit warm skin tones?
Warm undertones fall into two fabulous colour ‘seasonal’ categories – Autumn and Spring.
With a warm skin tone, you are likely to be instinctively drawn towards warmer colours in every aspect of your life – from clothes to hair colours to soft furnishings for your home!
Neutral skin tones can also fall under the warm category. It’s more common to have dark coloured eyes if you you have warm undertones, but not always.
Warm hair colours
What hair colours suit me quiz.
You can learn more about what hair colours suit you with our quiz! This asks you a few simple questions to determine the right colours for you. Just click on the image below.
You can also try on some virtual hair colours with the Best hair colour changing apps you need to use in 2021!
These hair colour apps are a fun way to try out a new colour and get an idea of what will look great on you.
What are the most popular colour trends this year?
To work out what colour you should dye your hair, you’ll want to know what the latest trends are in the hair colour world this year.
On-trend styles like balayage, ombre, sombre and the timeless, sun-kissed classic of highlights or babylights are best left to the professionals.
But there are still plenty of colours that you can confidently do yourself at home. Check out the latest looks for ideas and inspiration.
What is the best hair dye?
There’s no such thing as the best hair dye as it depends on what’s best for you, your colouring, and your hair condition.
So there’s really no straight answer. When it comes dyeing your hair at home, the types of hair dyes, you can choose range from permanent, semi-permanent, demi-permanent and temporary. Each one works in a different way to deposit that fabulous hair dye colour onto your hair.
Here’s a round up of the brands we recommend. Read more about why in Which hair dye is best?