There’s a new obsession in town and it’s called Merlot hair color.
This rich, dark hue is perfect for anyone who wants to add a touch of glamour to their style.
And the best part is, it’s surprisingly easy to achieve at home.
Here’s everything you need to know to find out if it’s the color for you!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 What is Merlot hair color?
- 2 What color is wine red hair?
- 3 Is burgundy and wine the same color?
- 4 Is merlot a warm or cool color?
- 5 Which hair colours suit me?
- 6 What hair color suits me?
- 7 Does wine red hair need bleach?
- 8 Can I dye my hair merlot at home?
- 9 Watch and learn: How to dye your hair merlot at home.
- 11 Best merlot hair dyes at a glance.
- 12 How long does red wine hair last?
- 13 How do you maintain merlot hair?
- 14 Parting words.
What is Merlot hair color?
Merlot hair color is a deep, red-brown hue that resembles the popular red wine of the same name.
It’s a modern take on the classic brunette shade and it’s perfect for anyone who wants to add a touch of drama to their look.
We love it because it’s so versatile. It looks great blended into balayage, ombre, and Highlights, or as an all-over color. And it adds shine, depth and dimension to any style.
It’s a great way to experiment with red tones without going too drastic. Black cherry, dark cherry red and burgundy are also popular color shades with more purpley undertones.
Mahogany is more brown and dark auburn is more red.
Check out the latest looks for ideas and inspiration.
What color is wine red hair?
Wine red hair color is a deep, dark red hue with purple undertones.
It is often described as being somewhere between auburn and burgundy, with hints of purple or blue.
We love how this hue can range from a deep Burgundy, maroon and violet plum to a ruby red or bright Scarlett, and it looks good on just about everyone.
Wine red hair can be stunning on any complexion, but it is particularly flattering on olive skin tones.
Think of it as the perfect color for fall and winter. It’s bold and eye-catching, but still elegant and sophisticated.
And just like a good bottle of wine, wine red hair looks even better with age!
Is burgundy and wine the same color?
Burgundy and wine are similar colors, but there are some subtle differences.
Burgundy is a deep, reddish-brown color with blue undertones, while wine is a deep, red color with purple undertones.
So burgundy is more purple-brown, while merlot is more red.
Is merlot a warm or cool color?
This deep shade is often described as a warm color, but it can also lean towards the cooler side of the spectrum depending on how it’s styled.
If you have warm undertones – go for warmer shades of merlot with a red base, add highlights or balayage in warmer shades such as copper or golden brown.
If you have cool undertones – choose a cooler shade of merlot with a blue or violet base, and add highlights or balayage in cooler shades such as platinum blonde or ash brown.
If you’re not sure what color your undertones are, just use our handy checklist below!
If you have cool undertones:
- Your skin tone is pink or pale.
- You blush easily!
- Jewel and pastel colours are so your thing.
- The colour yellow washes you out and does not look good on you.
- You have blue not green veins in your wrist.
- Pearls and silver jewellery look awesome on you.
If you have warm undertones:
- You have red or golden tones in your natural hair.
- Your skin tone is golden, tan or olive.
- You might have freckles.
- You have green not blue veins in your wrist.
- You suit bright or rich shades better.
- Gold jewellery looks awesome on you.
Which hair colours suit me?
You can also find out which hair colour suits you by taking our quiz!
Just answer a few quick questions to find out what other hair colours most suit you! Click on the image below.
What hair color suits me?
You can also try on some virtual hair colours with the Best hair colour changing apps you need to use this year!
Does wine red hair need bleach?
No, wine red hair does not need bleach.
This color can be achieved with a semi-permanent or demi-permanent hair color.
However, if you have very dark hair, you may need to pre-lighten your hair before coloring it wine red to get the right tone of color.
Be careful when bleaching your hair! Too much bleach can cause damage and leave your locks looking dull and lifeless.
If you’re planning to go this color, it’s best to consult with a professional stylist who can help you achieve the look you want without damaging your hair.
Can I dye my hair merlot at home?
Yes, you can dye your hair merlot at home!
There are a load of fantastic, off-the-shelf merlot colored hair dyes that will help you get the look at home. We recommend Manic Panic or Arctic Fox semi-permanent hair dyes for vibrant results.
Just follow these simple steps:
- First, you’ll want to make sure your hair is healthy and free of any damage. If it’s been awhile since your last trim, go ahead and schedule a haircut before you color your hair. This will help ensure that your color turns out evenly and looks its best.
- Next, you’ll need to purchase a quality hair dye kit. We recommend products from brands like Loreal or Clairol.
- Follow the instructions included in the kit to dying your hair at home. Don’t leave the dye in for too long.
- Rinse out the dye thoroughly and use a color-safe conditioner afterwards to help keep your hair healthy and hydrated.
- Style and admire!
Watch and learn: How to dye your hair merlot at home.
Here’s a great video that shows you how to dye your hair merlot at home step-by-step.
Best merlot hair dyes at a glance.
How long does red wine hair last?
One of the best things about this color is that it doesn’t have to be perfect to look fabulous.
In fact, the way the color fades over time can actually be part of its charm!
How long it lasts really depends on the condition of your hair, and the type of hair dye you used.
If you used semi permanent hair dye – it will last around 4-6 weeks.
If you used demi permanent hair dye – it will last around 12 washes.
If you used permanent hair dye – it can last anywhere from 6 to 8 months.
How do you maintain merlot hair?
Of course, if you’re not into that whole “lived-in” look, there are ways to help your color last longer.
First, invest in a good quality shampoo and conditioner designed for colored hair. This will help to protect your strands from environmental damage and keep your color vibrant.
Secondly, try to avoid heat styling as much as possible. If you must use heat, be sure to use a heat protectant spray beforehand.
Finally, touch up your color every few weeks to help it stay fresh and lively.
With a little effort, you can keep your gorgeous hair color for months on end!
Merlot hair color is a gorgeous, rich hue that can be achieved with a semi-permanent or demi-permanent hair dye.
If you have very dark hair, you may need to pre-lighten your hair before coloring it wine red to get the right tone of color. This color can last anywhere from 6 to 8 months with a little effort.
To maintain merlot hair, invest in a good quality shampoo and conditioner designed for colored hair, avoid heat styling as much as possible, and touch up your color every few weeks.
So that’s it! All you need to know about merlot hair color. Now go out and rock that new hue!