If you have coloured hair, you must protect it against fading and dryness at all costs to avoid the frizz-fantastic effect. One of the biggest haystack hair makers is heat – from hair straighteners, hair dryers and tongs. But we still need to style our hair amiright? Of course we do! That’s why we’re here with the best heat protectant spray you need in your life.
Hair damage can be caused by a lot of things. The sun, pollution, and styling tools are all culprits in the destruction of your locks.
But there is no need to panic! We have found that using the right hair products can help you fight against frizz and breakage from heat styling.
Look no further than our best heat protectant sprays for coloured hair.
- 1 What is a hair heat protectant spray?
- 2 Which is the best heat protectant spray?
- 3 Best hair heat protection sprays at a glance.
- 4 TOP PICK!
- 5 Label.m Heat Protection Spray
- 6 #1. John Frieda Detox & Repair Care Heat Protection Spray
- 7 #2. Coc10nut Heat Protection Spray – Leave-in Hair Protect Treatment for Dry Hair
- 8 #3. Label.m Heat Protection Spray
- 9 #4. Kerastase L’Incroyable Thermoprotective Lotion
- 10 5. Argan Oil Thermal Shield.
- 11 TOP PICK!
- 12 Label.m Heat Protection Spray
What is a hair heat protectant spray?
We all know heat from styling tools can damage your hair. Hairdryers, tongs, straighteners, curlers and wavers all use high heat temperatures to set your hairstyle. They make you look and feel fabulous but they’re damaging your hair with every use.
Every heat styling will make your hair dry out and become brittle and prone to snapping and breaking.
Worst of all, heat damages your colour. It causes it to fade and pulls the colour molecules from your hair which can wash out your colour. So what can you do to protect your hair and your colour to keep it looking fabulous?
Hair heat protectors are sprays that cost your hair with a protective layer to stop heat from damaging your hair. You apply them before using hot tools.
The best ones will give you shine, volume and protection without weighing down your locks or leaving behind any residue.
They’re perfect for protecting coloured hair from flat irons, curling irons and wands and blow dryers so that your colour lasts longer while keeping your style intact.
- Apply to wet or dry hair and leave it to soak in before styling.
- Spray it as evenly as possible to cover all of your hair.
- Pay particular attention to the ends which will be older and more damaged.
- Use as per the instructions on the spray.
- Don’t use straighteners or any tools other than hair dryers or hot air brushes on wet hair.
- If you apply to dry hair, let it soak in and dry completely before styling.
- Don’t overdo it. You can leave a sticky residue.
- Don’t forget your roots. Your hot tools may not touch it but the sun will and most protector sprays will contain UV protection too.
Which is the best heat protectant spray?
Some hair heat protector sprays contain ingredients that also condition your hair while leaving it protected. Some can feel heavy or leave a sticky residue on your hair. So you’ll need to match one to your hair type.
We’ve tested the most popular ones on the market to bring you only the best!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Best hair heat protection sprays at a glance.
|Heat Protection Spray||Looks like||Best for||Rating||Buy now|
|John Frieda Detox & Repair Care||Daily use.|
|Coconut Heat Protection Spray||Frizzy and curly hair. Smells lovely!|
|Label m Heat Protection Spray||Nourishing and fortifying hair.|
|Kerastase L'Incroyable Thermoprotective Lotion||The overall feel is one of richness and that you're doing something good for your hair.|
|Argan Oil Thermal Shield||Made for those who use straighteners frequently.|
Label.m Heat Protection Spray
Number one for nourishment.
As well as protecting our hair from sun, blow dryers and straightening irons, this spray fortifies our locks with much-needed keratin. It also smells absolutely gorgeous and transports us to a Thailand spa with notes of Jasmine. Lush.
#1. John Frieda Detox & Repair Care Heat Protection Spray
- Transforms stressed hair into smooth, shiny hair.
- Immediately revitalises and restores hair that needs repairing.
- Protects against split ends and breakage by fortifying and nourishing from the roots down.
- With antioxidant green tea and nourishing Avocado oil.
“Pretty special, well priced and worked really well. Smells lovely and well packaged.”
“I’m a big fan of John Frieda brand and thankfully this conditions my dry hair to leave it lovely and soft.”
“My hair is certainly falling out less after using this. I wash and blow dry my hair every day and this works really well for daily use. Makes it silky and soft and glossy.”
This left our hair silky smooth after blow-drying. Use it sparingly though as too much can weigh your hair down. It does brush out easily though.
It’s one of the best on our list for its pleasant smell and it sinks in well to leave your hair feeling supple.
Best for: Soft, supple hair.
#2. Coc10nut Heat Protection Spray – Leave-in Hair Protect Treatment for Dry Hair
- Hydrates damaged hair to help prevent split ends and frizz caused by styling and humidity.
- Defends hair against damage caused by heated tools – blow drying, curling and straightening .
- Makes your hair stronger, smoother and healthier.
- Adds body, volume and adds shine.
“Love love love this product. I have crazy curly hair and receive a weekly professional blow-dry to try to tame and straighten my hair. This product definitely helped the process and maintained my sleekness until my next blow-dry. I was also really impressed with the detangle element.”
“I had comments in the office on the coconut smell with this! It is very strong but the spray is lovely and made my hair look as well as smell really nice.”
“This is almost a hair relaxant on my hair! I have unruly curls and this helps me keep them straight when I blow dry. It’s so moisturising without weighing them down. So there still a bit of bounce! Love it.”
This was recommended to us by our Expert in The Expert Opinion on coloured hair care and we must admit it was loved by our dry barnet. Smelt great too and really helped to tame our hair and reduce frizz. Great for curlier hair.
Best for: Curly hair.
#3. Label.m Heat Protection Spray
- ‘The latest innovation in heat protectant technology.’
- A professionally formulated, pre-styling spray that provides expert protection so you can style dry and damaged hair with confidence.
“This makes my hair smell great. It’s lightweight and easy to use. I’ve tried oil sprays up until now but wish I’d found this earlier!”
“This spray is excellent prior to heat! I prefer to use it on damp hair but I also give my dry hair a spritz before bed to moisturise it a little. It’s a relaxing smell! I have been using it for a while and definitely think it’s helping to keep my hair colour fresh too.”
This is forever a permanent fixture on our dressing tables as it smells amazing, protects your hair from heat, UV rays AND fortifies it with the magic coloured hair protein potion – keratin. A heat protectant spray and a spa experience in one. Sorted.
Best for: Keratin protection.
#4. Kerastase L’Incroyable Thermoprotective Lotion
A heat protectant spray that redefines heat-styling with a miracle reshape heat lotion. (Quite a claim!)
“FABULOUS. It made my hair so much easier to dry. And have me a smooth finish and lots of volume. I tied my hair up in a top knot all day and just gave it a quick blast with a hairdryer at home. It looked almost exactly as it had after styling.”
“My hairdresser used this on me so decided to get some for myself and was so so pleased to get the same great results! Lots of body and adds shine.”
We love everything Kerastase here at Coloured Hair Care so we had to give this a go. It’s not the strongest contender on the list but still one of the best for frizz taming and protection.
We’re not sure what ‘miracle reshape heat lotion’ is all about but the overall feel is one of richness and that you’re doing something good for your coloured hair. Was good on the shiny front too.
Best for: Super shine
5. Argan Oil Thermal Shield.
- Contains silicones that form a protective barrier over the cuticle of the hair strand
- Protects your coloured hair from the heat of your hair tools.
- Heat protectant that adds moisture to your hair to reduce moisture loss when styling.
“Great product. Smells good and goes on really nicely. I have very fine hair so not having a spray that is heavy on my hair is important.”
“Leaves your hair nice and soft. Great as a leave-in conditioner too.”
“Brilliant for hair care.”
We weren’t sure putting oil in your hair before putting heat on it was such a good idea but a good idea it is.
Let it soak in a little before styling so that it really nourishes the tips of your hair. Smells great but too much could make your hair greasy. Best for those with really dry locks.
Best for: Dry hair
Label.m Heat Protection Spray
Number one for nourishment.
As well as protecting our hair from sun, blow dryers and straightening irons, this heat protectant spray fortifies our locks with much-needed keratin. It also smells absolutely gorgeous and transports us to a Thailand spa with notes of Jasmine. Lush.
So, what’s the key to protecting your hair from heat? It all comes down to one thing – a good quality heat protectant spray.
We’ve reviewed and compiled an ultimate list of our favourite products that will help you avoid over-stressing your locks in order to keep them looking sleek and shiny for longer.
Aside from that, it’s important not to use too much product or apply it excessively close to the scalp as this can cause greasy build-up on the roots. Do you believe in miracles ́cause we do ́cause with these pro tips we promise you’ll have less frizz than ever before!