Are you looking to keep your fabulous hair color and condition for longer? Let us make it easier for you! We’re here to break down our favorite conditioners from leading brands that will keep your knock-out colorful mane looking its best with unbeatable shine and silky softness.
From giving dry strands extra hydration, strengthening weakened strands and promoting healthy growth – there’s something here for everyone.
Read on for the ultimate guide to finding perfect conditioner for you…
- 1 What are conditioners for colored hair?
- 2 Why do I need conditioners for color-treated hair?
- 3 What is the best conditioner for colored hair?
- 4 Top 10 Conditioners for coloured hair at a glance.
- 5 TOP PICK!
- 6 Label M Color Stay Conditioner.
- 7 #1 Bed Head by Tigi Color Goddess Conditioner for Colored Hair.
- 8 #2 L’Oreal Elvive Color Protect Rapid Reviver Colored Hair Power Conditioner.
- 9 #3 Redken Color Extend Magnetics Conditioner.
- 10 #4 Kerastase Reflection Fondant Chromatique.
- 11 #5 Label M Color Stay Conditioner.
- 12 #6 COLOR WOW Color Security Conditioner.
- 13 #7 Clairol Color Booster Conditioner – RED.
- 14 #8 Osmo Color Revive Conditioning Color Treatment – Purple Rouge.
- 15 #9 NYK1 Salt Sulphate Free Conditioner.
- 16 #10 Plantur 39 for colored and stressed hair.
- 17 TOP PICK!
- 18 Label M Color Stay Conditioner.
- 19 Buyer’s Guide: How do I choose the right conditioner for me?
- 20 Parting words
What are conditioners for colored hair?
Conditioners are moisture givers that replenish your hair’s moisture after you shampoo.
They are essential for color-treated hair as they help to seal your hair’s cuticle and lock in your color.
Conditioners for hair that’s been dyed are typically full of extra moisture giving ingredients like coconut oil and argan oil to combat the dryness and frizz from hair color treatments and colorings.
Like shampoos for colored hair, color conditioners are super gentle on your color and can help it last for longer.
Deep conditioners and leave-in conditioners are intensive treatments that give even more moisture than normal conditioners.
Too much of these and your hair can end up looking greasy, so stick to using these once a week for extra conditioning love.
Why do I need conditioners for color-treated hair?
Products that are specially formulated for colored hair help to prevent fade and keep your color looking luscious for longer.
One of the most effective ways in which you can keep your color locked in is by ditching the shampoo and just using conditioner whenever your hair needs a bit of revitalising but not a whole wash.
Along with the best shampoos for colored hair, conditioners for colored hair should be a vital part of your hair care routine.
It’s all part of How to look after your colored hair and keep it luscious for longer.
What is the best conditioner for colored hair?
Let’s get soaking! We’re here with 10 of the top conditioners for dyed hair that you need to keep your color in tip top condition!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Top 10 Conditioners for coloured hair at a glance.
#1 Bed Head by Tigi Color Goddess Conditioner for Colored Hair.
- A conditioner without silicones to leave hair smooth, conditioned and frizz-free.
- This has a sweet caramel-toffee fragrance.
- It is oil-infused to help with maintaining color vibrancy.
- It contains gold mica which really helps highlight metallic brunette, copper and red tones.
- Formulated with Shea Butter, Sweet Almond Oil, Coconut Oil, Vitamin B5 and Keratin.
“This has a lovely smell. I leave it in for a few moments to let it sink in and you can feel the difference while you’re washing it out.”
“This came as a big size but I’m really happy it did- I love it. It smells yummy like a rich caramel. I’ve tried other brand but this is the one for me now. I’ll always buy this size as it’s better value.”
“My hairdresser recommended this one. I love how it leaves my hair so soft.”
Bed Head is great luxury-budget conditioner that’s great for everyday use.
It did weigh down our fine hair a little so it might be suited ot those with thicker hair.
Some of us didn’t like the sickly smell, some of us wanted to eat it all up.
But it certainly made our dyed hair feel enriched and a little went a long way so it’ll last for the life of the color.
Best for: Sweet smelling softness.
#2 L’Oreal Elvive Color Protect Rapid Reviver Colored Hair Power Conditioner.
- An intense conditioning formula that’s infused with amino acid and vitamin E.
- The formula leaves hair feeling nourished and soft to the touch.
- This rich conditioner claims to contain twice more conditioning ingredients versus a classic conditioner. (We can’t verify if this is true!)
- No leave-in time and no weigh-down.
“My hair has become softer than soft thanks to this conditioner. It was brittle and frazzled and full of split ends after dyeing it for years but now it’s all swishy!”
“This has made my hair RELAX without weighing it down like no other conditioner in the world has managed to do. I usually look like a Troll without it!
Styling my hair is also much easier as it’s not all rough and knotty. It does everything you need it to.”
“I use this after I dye my hair as it’s really gentle. My hair gest so dry after highlights, this really does the job is making it soft again.”
This is great value for money and a little hair color booster to our fading tresses.
It had the effect of a deep conditioner but only took half the time. It’s powerful stuff.
Combined with the matching shampoo, this left our hair feeling really smooth and replenished.
We were recommended this one by our experts who said this is the brand to use if you want to look after your color but don’t want to spend too much. L’Oreal we love you.
Best for: Fighting frizz.
#3 Redken Color Extend Magnetics Conditioner.
- Redken Color Extend Conditioner says it prolongs the ‘Magnetic intensity’ of hair color with every wash.
- Its cleansing formula cleanses the hair inside and out – from root to tip – to lengthen to life of your color.
“I used to have my hair colored every four weeks. It’s bright pink and awesome when it’s first done but the color fades pretty quick.
Now I use this and wash it less and I can go up to 6 weeks if I use a root touch up. Awesome stuff. “
“If you have colored hair this needs to be a staple in your bathroom cupboard, this does the job and more more more.”
“This is the best conditioner I’ve ever used at home. Every time I use it it feels like I’ve been to the salon. Super glam.”
Loads of five star reviews on this one so we had to give it a try.
It’s not cheap, but a little went a long way and it really did leave us feeling ‘salony’. It smells great too.
It’s very lightweight so perfect for finer hair.
We haven’t used it long enough to test the color lasting properties yet, but it made our list as, from the reviews, it sure looks a winner.
Best for: Fine hair and lasting color.
#4 Kerastase Reflection Fondant Chromatique.
- Kérastase Conditioner Reflection Fondant Chromatique is enriched with ‘chelators’ – small molecules that bind very tightly to to your color particles to lock them in.
- With added UV Filters and Vitamin E, this conditioner helps fight the factors responsible for color fading.
- The conditioner’s innovative Système Capture Advanced helps neutralise external aggressors like heat and wetness that can disturb color.
“This makes my hair feel like silk and is a tidy price too. I also use the matching shampoo. I’ve got fine hair so can’t have anything too heavy or I look like a dull mess. This makes my hair feel really moisturised and happy!”
“My hairdresser recommended this and they use this themselves at home which is always a good sign. I have a bob so don’t need a lot and for the price it works perfectly.”
“I love all Kerastase products and I use this along with the color masque to preserve my hair color and condition.”
No conditioners or indeed ANYTHING hair list is complete without Kerastase.
Combine this with Kerastase Reflection Bain Chromatique Riche Shampoo and you’ll really notice your color pop.
This give your hair a great shine which really brightens your color.
After frequent use, our hair felt stronger and more manageable too. It really restores the ‘swish’.
This is a long time fave of ours after having people give us lots of hair compliments when we use it – and who doesn’t love those!
Best for: Bringing color to life.
#5 Label M Color Stay Conditioner.
- Label M Color Stay Conditioner is infused with hydrolysed silk, nad the lovely scents of jojoba, aloe barbadenis and extracts of sunflower.
- Contains heliogenol which combats fading
- And something they call their ‘enviroshield complex’ which further protects colored hair against heat styling and UV rays.
“You don’t need much of this and it contains no sulphates so that’s a win win for me and my hair.”
“I love this stuff. It keeps my color well and I have naturally wavy hair that I like to wear wavy so don’t want anything that weighs it down. This works a treat.”
“The bottle is massive! You get a lot for your money. It smells so good, like a spa. My friends have asked what’s different about my hair and I know it’s using this. For all these reasons, it’s the best conditioner I’ve ever used.”
This brand is totally gorge.
We love this for having UV protection in it so you don’t have to worry about the sun fading your hair color. The more we use it, the more you can see the benefits.
We needed to use a little more product than usual to make our hair feel really saturated.
But our hair is glossier and the split ends are less noticeable which makes it all worthwhile. Best of all, it enriches your color by putting the moisture back into your hair.
This makes your hair smell FANTASTIC and feel silky and it tops our list just for that.
Best for: Silky, sun protected hair.
#6 COLOR WOW Color Security Conditioner.
- The ideal partner to Color Security Shampoo,
- This Conditioner has eight translucent conditioning agents to add shimmer, shine and moisture to your color-treated hair.
- Together with the Color Security Shampoo, it’s a powerful defender against tangled, rough, and chemically-compromised hair.
“What they say is true about this product. I also use the root touch up and my trips to the hairdresser are really stretched out now!”
“My color definitely seems to pop more after I use this. I’ve recommended it to my friends every time they’ve commented on my hair looking good. It’s worth investing in great products if your investing in coloring your hair.”
“I love this conditioner. My hair is always so dry and it’s thick and coarse so lots of conditioners aren’t enough. This one is perfect for me.”
This specially formulated conditioner is from the people that brought us COLOR WOW Root Cover Up – and wow, they really care about our colored hair.
What we love about this is that it comes in different formulas depending on your hair type. This makes so much sense as everyone’s hair is different – conditioners should be too.
We tried the one for THICK HAIR which is quite rich and may weigh down finer manes, so make sure you pick the right one for your hair type.
Team it with the shampoo for amazing results.
Best for: Thick hair and amazing moisture.
#7 Clairol Color Booster Conditioner – RED.
- With Clairol Color Booster you can condition your hair and refresh your color all at once.
- Color Booster gradually adds pigment to your locks, giving you the intense, radiant and long-lasting color you’ve always dreamt of.
- It contains no ammonia and no peroxide so you can use it as your everyday conditioner.
- Say goodbye to orange and brassy fading and hello to smooth and silky hair.
“This lifts my color with a subtle copper glow. Works well for topping up my color in between dyeing it. My hair feels great too and I’d really recommend it.”
“Love this. A fantastic way to keep your color going. I sometimes mix a couple of colors to get richer hues in my hair. It’s not too strong, it’s just right.”
“Can keep your hairdresser away for longer! Make sure you use gloves. It’s more of a tint than a dye but it revitalises my color really well.”
The Clairol Color Booster Conditioner range is definitely worth a spot in our list thanks to its “innovative hair dye pigmentation technology.”
In less complex terms, it has a weeny bit of color in it to boost your color and make it last for longer.
An ABSOLUTE NO BRAINER if your hair is red as it’s the color that fades the fastest. This is also a great product for metallic hair colors like copper that need extra boost of vibrancy.
Choose your shade carefully for the best results.
Best for: Red hair shades.
#8 Osmo Color Revive Conditioning Color Treatment – Purple Rouge.
- This is made to instantly restore vibrancy and give your colored hair the lift it needs to stay stronger for longer.
- Extend your time between salon visits with this conditioning color treatment.
- It’s a thick and nourishing cream that ensures your hair color stays stronger for longer.
“I don’t use gloves with this as other reviewers say but I can say I LOVE IT!!! It’s a must for stopping fading hair color.
Mine used to wash out so fast I was tearing it out (almost) wondering what to do than I found this and I’ll never look back!”
“I use this whenever I get my hair dyed a different color and then I don’t need to dye it again until I change it again!
I’ve been purple and red so far and each time this has kept it vibrant and looking great until I fancy a change!”
“This stops my color fading really well. I use it alongside other conditioners as well, whenever I feel my color needs topping up.”
We like this range for the variety of awesome colors – from purple to hot pink as well as your reds, blondes and brunettes in between.
Like the Clairol Color Booster, it has a wincy bit of color in so you need to be as careful as you would with using hair dye.
You can mix it into your usual conditioner or use it on it’s own if you have a stronger, brighter color.
The tube is small but this isn’t for every time you wash your hair so you can use it sparingly. If your color had red or blue tones in it this is particularly good.
Best for: Topping up color.
#9 NYK1 Salt Sulphate Free Conditioner.
- NYK1 Salt and Sulphate Free Conditioner conditions and fragrances your hair and help keep your hair smoother and your color brighter and more vibrant for longer.
- Using natural Oil of Coconut to nourish and reduce frizz, for a silky soft smooth shiny finish.
- Great for hair extensions and brazilian treated hair as it’s been carefully created to thoroughly cleanse and fortify hair without stripping Keratin, color or hair bonds.
“I’m in love with this conditioner!! I got this duo which is brilliant value. Won’t use anything else ever again.”
“I got this after seeing so many reviews, while looking for a sulphate-free shampoo and conditioner.
I had only ever used products recommended by my hairdresser but my hair was starting to feel lank after washing.
So I took a chance on this one and am happy to say this is better than I expected. My hair feels soft and properly nourished and moisturised. Fantastic product!”
This is an award-winning product and it’s not hard to see why. It’s free of all things bad and is made for people who have a lot of hair treatments – not just color.
It’s a salon favourite and loved by hairdressers for keeping color fresh while fortifying your hair with goodness.
It’s often on offer in a duo with the shampoo and is a must for those with extensions and other high maintenance styles and treatments that need a lot of care.
Best for: Restoring damaged hair.
#10 Plantur 39 for colored and stressed hair.
- This is marketed at the over 40’s as the hair’s pigment cells can lose their color performance and the hair turns grey or even white.
- The ingredients are a blended combination that works to regenerate the hair surface and increases hair brilliance.
- This includes active avocado to seal the damaged hair shaft, making the hair smooth and easy to style.
- It’s also great for nourishing your scalp.
“My hair was falling out a lot with other shampoo and conditioner products. My sister suggested I try this and I’m so glad she did because it really works.
It is a bit expensive but you use less than other products. I like to keep my hair looking good.”
“I find this conditioner doesn’t weigh my hair down like other brands, I like the fact that I can put it on my roots and it doesn’t make them greasy which many others do!”
“I found this by accident. I’m not over forty but have loads of grey hair as went grey really young. I’ve dyed my hair forever and this is the first conditioner I’ve found that makes my hair feel normal again!”
If you’re coloring your hair to cover greys, this one is a good shout. We love it for paying special attention to us silver foxes.
Hair becomes drier and more brittle as you age so, if you color your hair too, it needs a lot of love.
You can use it at any age! Not just 40. It definitely did make our hair feel….stronger.
It stopped breaking off as much and there was less around the plug hole after a few weeks of using. It’s good for fortifying a dry scalp too as it’s so intensive. A winner for us.
Best for: Very grey hair.
Buyer’s Guide: How do I choose the right conditioner for me?
For those who want their hair looking smooth, soft, and shiny, conditioner is a must. But how do you choose the right one? Let’s break down the four most important things to consider when choosing the perfect conditioner for you.
Hair Type & Texture
The type of conditioner that works best for you will depend on your hair type.
For instance, if you have dry or damaged hair, look for a conditioner with moisturizing ingredients like shea butter or avocado oil.
If your locks are oily or prone to dandruff, focus on products with deep-cleansing properties such as tea tree oil or jojoba oil.
It’s also important to factor in the texture and porosity of your hair when choosing a conditioner; those with coarse or curly hair may want to opt for a heavier formula while those with fine or thinning strands might need something lightweight that won’t weight your strands down adn make them feel greasy.
How often do you wash your hair? Do you use hot tools frequently? These are all super important things to think about before choosing the right conditioner as certain formulas are designed specifically for certain lifestyles.
For example, if you typically wash your hair every day then a volumizing formula might be best as it will help keep your locks bouncy and full of body between washes.
On the other hand, if you don’t wash your hair very often then something more nourishing would be beneficial as it will help keep your strands hydrated and healthy between washes.
Read the labels
When you’re choosing a conditioner, have a read of the ingredients listed on the label.
Natural ingredients like coconut oil and aloe vera can provide intense hydration while oils like jojoba or argan can boost shine without weighing down thin strands.
There are also plenty of options specifically tailored towards addressing specific concerns like frizziness or split ends. Also look out for any sulfates or parabens listed as this can strip moisture from your strands.
Consider your budget
Last but not least is budget!
When shopping for a new conditioner, it’s always important to consider your budget and figure out how much money you’re willing to spend on a good product.
After all, price doesn’t always equal quality—you can find plenty of great drugstore options if you know where to look! Also keep an eye out for coupons and discounts—these can make all the difference in getting the most bang for your buck without sacrificing quality.
When it comes to finding the perfect conditioner to keep your colored hair in tip top condition, there are many factors at play – such as budget, lifestyle habits and even ingredients used in the product itself. So take some time researching which products may suit you best before making a decision so that whatever choice you make will be worth every penny (or dollar!).