Whether it’s permanent, semi-permanent, temporary, red, silver, black or blue…hair dye and hair colour will always fade with time. How long your hair dye job lasts depends on how you treat it in the days and weeks after it’s beautified your hair. That means only using the best products that will look after your colour and keep it lasting for longer. That’s why we’re here with the best shampoos for coloured hair!
- 1 What are shampoos for coloured hair?
- 2 Why do I need shampoos for coloured hair?
- 3 What are the best shampoos for coloured hair?
- 4 Best shampoos for coloured hair at a glance.
- 5 TOP PICK!
- 6 Label.m Color Stay Shampoo
- 7 #1 Argan oil of Morocco shampoo
- 8 #2. Label.m Color Stay Shampoo
- 9 #3.Garnier Fructis Shampoo Colour Resist
- 10 #4.Kerastase Reflection Bain Chromatique.
- 11 #5.Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Restore Shampoo
- 12 #6.Paul Mitchell Color Care Shampoo.
- 13 TOP PICK!
- 14 Label.m Color Stay Shampoo
What are shampoos for coloured hair?
Think of most shampoos as a paint stripper. The stronger it is, and the more you use, the more the colour fades away.
Some shampoos are harsher than others (if you ever want to strip your colour off – haven’t we all had a dye disaster! – use Head & Shoulders shampoo) and, as you would expect, colour shampoos are specially formulated to be gentle on colour treated hair as they do not contain colour stripping sulphates.
Why do I need shampoos for coloured hair?
Colour safe shampoos help to prevent fade and protect colour-treated hair, keeping it looking luscious for longer.
Along with the best conditioners for coloured hair, colour protecting shampoos should be a staple part of your coloured hair care routine.
Not only will they prolong your colour and stop it fading, they’re gentle enough to be kind to hair that’s damaged by regular hair dyeing processes.
What are the best shampoos for coloured hair?
Hang tight! We’re here with the best shampoo we’d recommend to keep your colour in tip-top condition!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Best shampoos for coloured hair at a glance.
|Shampoo||Looks like||Best for||Rating||Buy now|
|OGX Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo||Nourishing oils and fab smell.|
|Label m Color Stay Shampoo||Keep colour looking luscious for longer.|
|Garnier Fructis Shampoo Color Resist||Auburn and redder shades of hair.|
|Kerastase Reflection Bain Chromatique||Thicker hair and softness.|
|Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Shampoo||Moisturising. Good for curls/frizzy hair.|
|Paul Mitchell Color Care Shampoo||Protection and prevention.|
|Bumble & Bumble Color Minded||Great cleansing with gentle ingredients.|
Label.m Color Stay Shampoo
Best for: Longer lasting colour.
We gave this a go after falling in love with Label M’s Protein Spray. Like the spray, it transforms your bathroom into a luxurious spa experience with it’s relaxing notes of jasmine and vanilla.
It also didn’t foam up too much but left no residue in our hair. Colour felt vibrant for longer. This tops the list as the best for coloured hair.
#1 Argan oil of Morocco shampoo
- A precious blend that’s infused with Argan Oil sourced straight from the ancient land of Morocco.
- Rich and creamy shampoo that will help protect, restore and nourish your hair leaving it super soft and shiny.
- It’s a best-selling shampoo that gives life to your hair and renews it with the sweet smell of fragrant oils.
“I have curly hair and this is one of the few shampoos that don’t make it look dull and lifeless! Since using this I’ve used a few OGX products and they never let me down.”
“I use this shampoo along with the conditioner and I can honestly say I felt the difference in a matter of days. It’s so cheap it really does wonders for the money.”
“My hair does feel so much softer after using this. My friend recommending it after trying it too and raved about it. I used the oil and my dyed hair was as not tangled as it usually is.”
It’s good on price and smells amazing. It doesn’t lather much but that’s common for colour shampoos. Go for it if you want great value for money.
Best for: Coloured hair care on a budget.
#2. Label.m Color Stay Shampoo
- Label M Colour Stay Shampoo boasts an expert blend of Wheat and Soy Proteins, Hydrolysed Silk, and Sunflower extracts.
- It is designed to seal and protect your colour thanks to something called ‘Heliogenol’ that combats colour fading.
- It also has invented the Enviroshield Complex which means your hair is also protected against heat styling and UV rays.
“I’ve been using this shampoo for years and find it does indeed extend my time between hairdresser visits. My hair is always really glossy and I get people commenting on how glossy it looks.”
“My hairdresser uses this one in the salon and I was surprised it was one I could easily get myself. She says it’s the one to use at home. It’s great value really happy with my purchase.”
“This is the fifth time I’ve bought this and I love it! I was having trouble with hair dye not taking well to my hair and my hairdresser said this would create any build up so the dye could be absorbed. She was right!”
We gave this a go after falling in love with Label M’s Protein Spray.
Like the spray, it transforms your bathroom into a luxurious spa experience with it’s relaxing notes of jasmine and vanilla. It also didn’t foam up too much but left no residue in our hair. Colour felt vibrant for longer.
Best for: Longer lasting colour.
#3.Garnier Fructis Shampoo Colour Resist
- Nourishes and protects hair to keep colour and shine.
- Contains extracts of grapefruit oil and acacia berries.
- It’s bursting with ‘Active Micro Captors’ which are super absorbent and strengthen your hair when it’s wet.
- Allows long lasting colour for coloured and highlighted hair.
- Shine properties to keep you gleaming.
“I was desperate with my hair being dry and frizzy because I coloured it so much and my hairdresser just kept recommending really expensive shampoos but then I tried this! It’s a life saver or hair saver! I love this range now I won’t buy anything else.”
“Nice shampoo , it smells really lovely and I think it does make the colour last a bit longer than if I was using a normal shampoo.”
“I’m always amazed how this shampoo and conditioner always enhances my colour I would certainly recommend this product.”
This isn’t our fave but it makes our best shampoos for coloured treated hair list as it’s particularly good for auburn or redder shades of hair.
Red dye is the pigment that vanishes the fastest, so you need a great shampoo that keeps your hair glossy rather than brassy. The smell is quite sweet but for the money, its reviews are great.
Best for: Red shades.
#4.Kerastase Reflection Bain Chromatique.
- Kérastase Reflection Bain is lovingly described as a luminous softening hair bath for coloured hair.
- It has anti-fading properties that cleans your hair while adding shine and softness.
- Makes thirsty hair feel moisturised, radiant and supple to touch.
- UV protectant against colour fade.
“I love that this doesn’t strip my colour like so many other shampoos I tried did. It feels so natural and that’s you’re really looking after your hair and colour. My hair is fine and this doesn’t feel too heavy.”
“Amazing. One of the best shampoos in my view for dyed hair. Leaves the hair so light, and with an amazing smell. I have highlighted hair, and very coarse and thin. This is the only shampoo that works for me.”
“Protects hair colour and improve shine like nobody’s business!”
We are long time lovers of Kerastase products and anything that contains Keratin is a must for dry, damaged hair. This isn’t an everyday wash, but with coloured hair you shouldn’t be doing that anyway.
Fine hair may find it heavy but we found it perfect for moisture-starved locks. Not sure if it kept the colour as well as some of the other shampoos in this list, but over time, with better condition hair, hair dye should start to last longer.
Best for: Thicker hair.
#5.Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Restore Shampoo
- Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen, Grow & Restore Hair Care Collection claims to fortify and renew your coloured hair, while supporting healthy growth for all hair types.
- Especially good for chemically treated and heat styled manes.
- The ingredients are all natural, certified organic and ethically sourced.
- Organic Shea Butter is rich in fatty acids and vitamins with omega oil that has reparative benefits for hair and scalp.
- Peppermint Oil invigorates and stimulates the scalp’s circulation. Coconut Oil intensely moisturizes hair, while helping to prevent breakage.
“My hair was in a bad way after years of dyeing, extensions and highlighting. It was short and broke all the time. My husband was fed up of all the hair in the shower plug! But WOW I really notice the difference with this. I’m stocking up.”
“I’ve been using for a few weeks now and I love that I has improved the condition of my hair, but also my scalp. It used to be dry and flaky but now feels well moisturised and healthy. A great all rounder.”
“It lathers up really well and hair feels thicker after use. Will definitely be buying again.”
“Why hadn’t I seen this years ago!? Could’ve saved a fortune that I spent on pricier shampoos- this makes my hair feel smooth and sleek, it’s my favourite by far.”
Oh the softness. This made our hair feel silky smooth. It lathered up more than other products and we felt great to not be putting more chemicals in our hair. No paint stripper feeling so our colour lasts longer.
Best for: Moisture and softness.
#6.Paul Mitchell Color Care Shampoo.
- This helps hair colour last for longer by containing UV protectors to shield it from the sun.
- Cleanses and moisturises to strengthen your hair and boost its shine.
“Me and my best friend love this shampoo (we live together and share it!) It works for my curly hair and it works for her straight hair. We both colour our hair so it’s prone to dryness.”
What we love about this is a) it’s price puts it firmly in the category of affordable luxury and b) it’s all about PREVENTION as opposed to just trying to fix already damaged and over-coloured hair. So you can expect your colour to last for longer the more you use it. A little goes a long way as it foams up good too.
Best for: Protection and prevention.
- Ultra-mild, sulfate free shampoo that protects color integrity and stops your colour washing out.
- It cleanses by removing any dulling build-up that can make your hair appear lifeless.
- Its natural ingredients mean it doesn’t strip hair of natural oils.
- Prolongs colour’s vibrancy and maintains colour brilliance.
- Color Minded Shampoo contains the color preserving complex to help minimize fading effects.
“I have thanked my hairdresser for recommending this a thousand times! I do feel that I see her less often because this looks after my colour so well. It’s not cheap, but a little really does go a long way. I’m really happy with the results.”
“This does the job of preserving the hair colour really well. It’s sulphate free so it’s not sucking the goodness out of my hair like other shampoos.”
This is one for those with fine hair as its super super gentle. It’s pricey but worth it if you want to make the most of your hair colour.
Big thumbs up on this one from hairdressers too who think it is one of the best shampoos for dyed hair as it contains no nasty sulphates that strip your colour and dry your hair.
Best for: Gentle cleansing for fine hair.
Label.m Color Stay Shampoo
Best for: Longer lasting colour.
We gave this a go after falling in love with Label M’s Protein Spray. Like the spray, it transforms your bathroom into a luxurious spa experience with it’s relaxing notes of jasmine and vanilla. It also didn’t foam up too much but left no residue in our hair. Colour felt vibrant for longer. This tops the list as the best for coloured hair.