Which is the best hair straightener for coloured hair? And why is it so important for our coloured hair care friends?
If you have luscious coloured locks, straightening your hair, or using any heat to style your hair, is bad news.
Not only does heat damage the condition of your hair, but it can also go a long way to making your colour fade too.
In How to use straighteners with coloured hair, we told you all you need to know about how best to protect your hair while using straighteners.
But the #truestory is that we love our straighteners for the way they make our hair look sleek, shiny and feel smooth. What can we do?
Coloured hair is a commitment.
If you have coloured hair, you probably know that it’s important to care for your colour with products designed specifically for coloured hair.
So what do we recommend? We say go with the best straightener for coloured hair. This way you won’t have to worry about damaging your colour when styling using heat tools.
- 1 Do I need new straighteners?
- 2 Are hair straighteners just for straightening?
- 3 Which are the best hair straighteners for coloured hair?
- 4 Best straighteners for coloured hair at a glance.
- 5 TOP PICK!
- 6 ghd Gold Styler Professional Ceramic Hair Straighteners.
- 7 #1 Dyson Corrale Straightener
- 8 #2 Remington Colour Protect Hair Straighteners
- 9 #3 Cloud Nine The Original Iron Hair Straightener.
- 10 #4 ghd Gold Styler Professional Ceramic Hair Straighteners.
- 11 #5 ghd Platinum+ Styler White Professional Smart Hair Straighteners
- 12 TOP PICK!
- 13 ghd Gold Styler Professional Ceramic Hair Straighteners
Do I need new straighteners?
Like any heating appliance, straighteners age with wear and tear and their plates lose the ability to heat up so efficiently.
So if you’ve had your hair straighteners for a while and feel you’re no longer getting the results you want, it’s time for some new ones.
Are hair straighteners just for straightening?
The beauty of hair straighteners is that they’re not just for giving you ultra-slick, frizz-free, poker-straight hair.
Long hair or short hair, with the flick of a wrist you can entice soft, beach-ready waves or mega tight curls. It’s all in the technique.
Which are the best hair straighteners for coloured hair?
Over the years, new innovations in hair straighteners have materialised that claim to cause less damage, use less heat, fortify your hair with conditioners, use ionic technology and even be controlled with your phone.
But do we really need all of this stuff? We just want straighteners that work really well without damaging our hair and fading our colour amiright?
So that’s why we’re here to tell you – which are the best straighteners for coloured hair!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn on qualifying purchases.
Best straighteners for coloured hair at a glance.
ghd Gold Styler Professional Ceramic Hair Straighteners.
Best for: Everything!
These are the straighteners that all other straighteners want to be. A high quality, lower heat appliance that looks after our coloured manes while giving us the most fabulous, swishy hair results. Find out more below.
#1 Dyson Corrale Straightener
- Variable temperature control: No
- Cordless: Yes
- Cable length: 4.33m
- Dimensions: H45 x W41 x D29.2 cm
- Weight: 561g
- Accessories included:Heat-resistant travel bag
- The only straightener with flexing plates that shape to gather hair
- Extra control allows you to create the same style but with less heat – and half the damage.
- These can be used corded, or cord-free for up to 30 minutes of cord-free styling
- Or if you can attach the magnetic 360° cable and style in hybrid charge mode.
- It has three precise heat settings – 165°C, 185°C and 210°C but the control of these is automated so you can’t change it yourself.
“WOW. I got the purple ones of these and I’m in love with them. I love that they’re cordless so you can move them around for better styling. They don’t get hot on the outside like my last ones always did. They are so quick to use.”
“It glides through your hair so smoothly and catches all your hairs, it’s like magic! I have thick frizzy hair and this is the first time I feel in control of it!”
“I’m so impressed with these, I’m putting my ghds on ebay! I straightened my hair in half the time and it gave it volume too. I like the cordless aspect for being able to pop it in my bag and take it out.”
Hot off the press (geddit!) are these gorgeous new CORDLESS straighteners from Dyson. Yes Dyson, makers of vacuum cleaners and other engineering marvels. They’ve smashed it with the Dyson Supersonic Hair dryer (see our Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer Review) which are flying off the shelves and now they’re coming for straighteners.
Pricey much? Yes. But the results are fabulous. These innovative flat irons are a cut above the rest in that they use mind-boggling technology to keep the titanium plates between 165-210 degrees so YOU ONLY NEED TO PUT THEM THROUGH YOUR HAIR ONCE. And voila! It is straight. Which is brilliant if you have coloured hair as it’s minimal heat for maximum results.
Makes your hair soft and shiny in record time.
Good job too as they’re quite heavy and chunky to hold on account of being cordless for 30 mins at a time. So they’re not so good for curling and waving. We’re so used to cords, we’re not sure the cordless thing is essential. But for hairdressers and salons this gives additional flexibility so could be a game changer for some.
These are very very good and come in a close second as the results were slightly better and happened faster than the ghd Golds. But for the gap in price, we feel the ghds are better value. HOWEVER, if money is no object, and time is money (!) go for these for the fast styling times and flexibility.
Best for: Fast styling with cordless freedom.
#2 Remington Colour Protect Hair Straighteners
- Variable temperature control: Yes. 5 settings 150°C – 230°C with temperature lock.
- Cordless: No
- Cable length: 3m swivel cord
- Weight: 780g
- Accessories included: Luxury heat-resistant pouch
- Ceramic coated plates infused with Keratin & Almond oil
- It detects your hair’s unique moisture levels and adjusts the heat to the optimum styling temperature.
- 3x more protection, less damage and healthier looking hair.
- Leaves hair 5 x stronger whilst reducing the risk of splitting and damage.
- Heats up fast in 15 seconds.
“I was dubious as these seemed a lot cheaper than other straighteners but I was really pleased. I think they’re even better than my last straighteners. I have fine hair which I imagine is easier to straighten though.”
“Really happy with these. You can control the temperature and they left my hair feeling smooth and soft to use. They also turn themselves off if you forget to which is a great feature. The best hair straighteners for value for money, would recommend.”
“My hair is very thick and coarse which breaks easily so it’s not easy to straighten. These Remington straighteners make it much easier. They don’t dry and frizz your hair. You can have them on an auto temperature as you straighten or you can have them on the temperature you want. They’re very neat.”
These ones make the list as they are excellent value for money. They have nice wide plates and they heat up fast.
The intelligent hair protection sensor reads your hair’s moisture levels 8x per second to regulate the heat and we would recommend setting it on auto temperature to let it do this, rather than setting the temperature yourself. That way you won’t be tempted to have it hotter than your coloured hair really needs.
Infused with goodness.
The keratin infusion is a nice touch, it made our hair feel shiny and smooth and nourished. But it feels a bit of a gimmick. A good hair heat protector is enough and too much product on your hair raises the risk of frizz.
Best for: Budget.
#3 Cloud Nine The Original Iron Hair Straightener.
- Variable temperature control: Yes
- Cordless: No
- Cable length: 2.6m swivel cord
- Plates are 2.5cm width and 9cm length
- The straighteners measure 26cm overall
- Accessories included (Gift pack): Embroidered heat resistant luxury carry case and protective heat guard.
- The multi-award-winning Original Iron delivers exceptional results, thanks to our renowned temperature controlled, mineral-coated ceramic plates.
- The temperature control feature allows you to choose from seven different temperatures.
- The floating, mineral-coated ceramic plates are proven to be kinder to hair, leaving it feeling conditioned and cared for.
“I’ve been using GHDs over the past 5 years and wanted a change. I thought I’d give these a go after look at all the fab reviews. These are ideal for me! I have really long hair and the sleek soft finish touch the straighteners gives my hair is amazing!!”
“I was recommended these by my local hairdresser (having had a different make for over 10 years).. and it is good that you can adjust the temperature. They heat up pretty quick and make my hair feel really smooth. Only trouble now is that my daughter keeps borrowing them!”
“Totally delighted with these, read the reviews and decided to finally buy something other than GHD. I am so glad I did, these are by far superior than GHD’s in my opinion.”
The Cloud Nine brand is founded by Mr Robert Powls, the same clever dude that founded ghd. So it’s no wonder we’re hard pressed to pick between the two.
A hot contender for the crown.
The look and feel of the Cloud Nine Original Straighteners is one of quality. The light-up dials adding a contemporary touch. It’s easy to use and completely intuitive, though not as quick to heat up as the ghds we noticed. But that will depend on what temperature setting you’re heating them to.
And this is what we really we love about the Cloud Nine straighteners – the temperature control. If you have thicker hair, you’ll need a higher heat to set your style and this is where these come in to their own.
But we’re wary. Coloured hair does not like heat so being to set the temperature hotter than you really need it is perhaps a feature we don’t really need. Especially for fine hair.
Best for: Thicker hair.
#4 ghd Gold Styler Professional Ceramic Hair Straighteners.
- Variable temperature control: No
- Cordless: No
- Cable length: 2.7m swivel cord
- Dimensions: H33 x W12 x D9 cm
- Weight: 1.1kg
- Accessories included:Protective plate guard
- The ghd Gold professional styler transforms your beauty regime and leaves you with glamorous, healthy-looking hair.
- It has dual-zone technology, an advanced heat sensor on each plate to maintain the ideal styling temperature of 185ºC constantly.
- They have a speedy heat-up time of 25 seconds and an automatic sleep mode that turns them off after 30 minutes of non-use.
“Yes, ghd’s are a little pricey in comparison with some other brands, but in my opinion you get what you pay for – their quality matches the price.”
“I had the older version of these straighteners for +10 years before they lost their ability to heat one of the plates. I tried these ones and the platinum version but these were the better ones for my fine hair type.”
“I didn’t realise how worn out my old ghd’s were until i got given these new ones! I lost my old ones so asked for these as a birthday present and didn’t realise my old ones were so worn out! There were very old. Now I can straighten my thick hair more quickly and easily!.”
Ahhhh ghds. The cream of the crop. The jewel in the crown. The straightener that all straighteners want to be. Ghd are to straighteners what Dyson is to vacuum cleaners (and hair dryers, see our Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer, Spotlight Review).
The design is top notch and it’s not as heavy as some other straighteners so you can avoid the arm ache that comes with straightening your hair. The cord is a good length to be able to move freely, that’s another reason why these are the hairdressers’ favourites that you see in salons throughout the land.
Heads above the rest.
The important thing about these that make them perfect for coloured hair is the temperature. It’s deliberately set at 185 degree which ghd sets as the optimum temperature to not scald your hair shafts and burn out your colour. We wouldn’t use anything else.
Check our in-depth review of these beauts in ghd Gold Styler Professional Straighteners
Best for: Everything!
#5 ghd Platinum+ Styler White Professional Smart Hair Straighteners
- Variable temperature control: No
- Cordless: No
- Cable length: 2.7m
- Dimensions: H9 x W12 x D32cm
- Weight: 0.75kg
- Accessories Included: None!
- Ultra-zone predictive technology.
- These straighteners are designed to constantly adapt to ensure the optimum styling temperature at all times.
- Precision-milled plates.
- There’s an ultra-gloss coating to create shinier hair, reduce breakage.
- 2 x less colour fade versus a styler working at 230°C.
- 20 sec heat up time.
“As soon as I opened it I could feel it is a product of the highest quality. It doesn’t pull, break or give my hair any burnt smells. I used to have steam coming out with my old ones. My hair feels and looks so much healthier.”
“I got these when my old ghds packed up after 12 years or more and I was surprised how much straighteners have improved! It’s only been a couple of weeks but my hair is so much smoother and silkier. I wish I’d upgraded a long time ago.”
“These glide through my hair and make it feel and look much better than ever. I’ve already bought another pair for my daughter. She uses straighteners every day and I think you need to invest in the best of the best if you’re using straighteners daily. GHDs are the best hair straighteners for me without a doubt.”
Another ghd product to make our list is the Platinum+ smart styler. Isn’t she pretty!
The first thing that strikes you is the innovative design but these are also an amazing piece of kit. They use predictive technology to anticipate the needs of your hair and adjust the heat accordingly as it styles, monitoring it 250 times per second across two floating plates.
The smarter choice for smoother hair.
They claim the technology offers twice the colour protection, and leaves hair up to 70 per cent stronger than before. It’s more responsive than the ghd Golds and we found it heated up quicker.
The only neg we had was the heating pads make it more difficult to curl your hair, but the beach waves look was easy to manage once we got used to it. If you mostly use straighteners to….straighten your hair and want something that will protect your colour while it’s at it, these are the ones for you.
Best for: Poker straight hair.
ghd Gold Styler Professional Ceramic Hair Straighteners
Best for: Everything!
These are the straighteners that all other straighteners want to be. A high quality, lower heat appliance that looks after our coloured manes while giving us the most fabulous, swishy hair results.
Others scored better in certain aspects – especially speed – but for the price the ghd Gold Stylers are simply the best for all round styling that your hard-earned money can buy.
Straighteners are a staple for many women, but in this day and age you need to be aware of what straightener is best suited for your hair type.
If you have coloured hair, make sure the heat settings on your straightener can’t fry the colour out of it!
And always use a good heat protection spray before, during and after styling.