Warm, neutral, cool…knowing which stunning new hair colour will make your eyes sparkle, your skin glow and your hair look on point requires understanding your undertones. If you have warmth to your complexion and you’re looking for a new do, here’s everything you need to know about the best hair colours for warm skin tones!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn on qualifying purchases.
What are skin tones?
Skin tones are often confused with undertones, but really they’re two different things. When it comes to choosing your hair colour, they’re both important.
Your skin tone – is the surface hue of your skin. This can which can change with things like sun exposure, reactions to medication, or even certain medical conditions.
Your undertones – are your complexion. This is the colour from underneath the surface of your skin that affects your overall hue.
There are three undertones – warm, neutral and cool. Finding out which one you are is the secret to understanding the right make-up and the right hair colours to suit you.
How do I find out my undertones?
Use our checklist below to find out your undertones. Here you can double-check if warm undertones are really you.
If you have warm undertones:
- You have red or golden tones in your natural hair.
- Your skin tone is golden, tan or olive.
- You might have freckles.
- You have green not blue veins in your wrist.
- You suit bright or rich shades better.
- Gold jewellery looks awesome on you.
If you have cool undertones:
- Your skin tone is pink or pale.
- You blush easily!
- Jewel and pastel colours are so your thing.
- The colour yellow washes you out and does not look good on you.
- You have blue not green veins in your wrist.
- Pearls and silver jewellery look awesome on you.
What do warm skin tones look like?
Warm undertones tend to lean towards peachy, yellow or golden tones.
With a warm skin tone, you are likely to be instinctively drawn towards warmer colours in every aspect of your life – from clothes to hair colours to soft furnishings for your home!
Neutral skin tones can also fall under the warm category. It’s more common to have dark coloured eyes if you you have warm undertones, but not always.
What hair colours suit warm skin tones?
Now you know you have warm undertones for sure, let’s find out which are the best colours for you!
Warm undertones fall into two fabulous colour ‘seasonal’ categories – Autumn and Spring. Cool colours are Winter and Summer!
These are the family of wonderful warm colours that will look best on you – whether it comes to choosing make-up, clothes or hair colours. Pick Autumn or Spring colours and you’ll never go wrong.
Colours with warm red or orange undertones will suit you.
Hair colours that won’t suit you:
- Anything with a blue, green or violet hue.
- Platinum and icy blondes.
What makes me suited to Autumn colours?
- Your eye colour will be deep brown, hazel, or jewel green.
- Your skin tone is glowing, you’re lucky enough to tan easily, and you could have a pale to olive based skin tone.
- Your natural hair color is a rich, dark brown, brown with red undertones or auburn colour.
- You suit clothes in colours of natural tans, brown, burgundy and orange.
Any colours with a yellow or an orange base will look great on you.
- Champagne blondes.
- Rich, golden blondes.
- Light, caramel browns.
- Honey colours.
- Dark hair colours with richness and warmth.
Colours that won’t suit you:
- Nothing with a blue or green base.
- Ashy colors (ash brown or ash blonde).
What makes me suited to spring colours?
- You have golden, olive skin or darker skin that tans easily.
- Your natural hair colour will have naturally warmer tones.
- You suit clothes that are in spring colours – the prettiest of pinks, soft berry, yellows and soft fuchsia.