Are you looking to find out how to remove toner from hair?
Toner is an easy way to correct colour without bleaching or re-dyeing, but it can be difficult to get out of hair if you don’t know how.
Luckily, we have some great tips on how to remove toner from hair that will help you save time and money!
You can use products already found in the cupboard like vinegar, bleach or honey. Or try these simple tricks for removing toner naturally with common household items like baking soda and lemon juice.
- 1 How to remove toner from hair.
- 2 What is hair toner?
- 3 How does hair toner work?
- 4 Are toners permanent?
- 5 Does hair toner fade quickly?
- 6 How do you get ashy toner out of hair?
- 7 How do you get toner out of blonde hair?
- 8 What can I do to lighten my hair after it’s been bleached and toned but the toner is too dark?
- 9 Will purple shampoo lighten toner?
- 10 Parting words
- Lemon juice – Put some neat lemon juice all over your hair and leave it in overnight.
- Honey and cinnamon – Mix 3 tablespoons of honey and 3 teaspoons of cinnamon together with your usual conditioner and leave it on as a hair mask to develop.
- Baking soda and warm water – make a paste and apply it to your hair for 30-40 minutes. You can also mix baking soda and peroxide for extra strength!
- White vinegar – dilute it with a little water than saturate your hair in it for 30 mins. Rinse out throroughly!
- Dish soap and shampoo – mix together and use in the shower as you would a normal shampoo.
- Vitamin C – Crush up a Vit C tablet and make a paste with water to apply to your hair for 20 mins then rinse.
- Colour removers – are great for removing permanent colour pigments.
- Bleach – is your last resort if you need to start over again!
What is hair toner?
Hair toners aka glosses or glazes, are used to reduce the intensity of the colour in your hair. They can take out a few shades or a couple of tones to make it lighter or darker, depending on what you need.
Toners are applied directly to dry hair. Usually you just need to use a tint brush and apply them at roots only, then leave them on for about 20 minutes before rinsing your hair thoroughly with water.
You can also use them as a shampoo replacement if you’re looking for slight colour corrections.
How does hair toner work?
Are toners permanent?
These colour calming miracles usually last about 6 to 10 shampoos.
If you have previously dyed your hair, then they are considered semi-permanent.
They will fade more quickly than permanent colours. They don’t contain ammonia or oxidants, which is why they’re not as strong and won’t lift the colour of your hair.
They’re more temporary and because they’re just pigments, not chemicals that alter your hair’s structure. So the colour will fade with every wash. For this reason, it’s necessary to touch up your roots regularly.
Does hair toner fade quickly?
The intensity of the toner fades with every shampoo, however it will not completely go away. Some toners may leave a trace even after many shampoos.
If you want to get rid of an unwanted hair colour, the process might be a bit more complicated.
Hair dressers usually advise their customers not to wash their hair for at least 48 hours after application, which means that if you decide to change your mind later on – it’s going to take some time and effort before you look good again.
How do you get ashy toner out of hair?
Using clarifying shampoo should be enough to remove pigment build-up in your hair.
If you have used a toner with too strong of a shade, or if you want to remove one that has been there for some time, there are other options.
If simply getting rid of excess colour, then an effective method would be to use dishwashing liquid mixed with water then massaged into your hair from root to tip.
Leave it for around half an hour then rinse out thoroughly before washing again with your normal shampoo.
How do you get toner out of blonde hair?
Blonde hair can be particularly stubborn at holding onto colour. If you want to strip all the colour out of your hair, then the only other option is to bleach it.
This will get rid of all previous dye, including toners.
However, it’s incredibly harsh on your hair so should be used with caution and done by a professional.
What can I do to lighten my hair after it’s been bleached and toned but the toner is too dark?
If you can strip all the previous dye from your hair you should be able to bleach it again and lighten it enough that the toner becomes a lighter shade.
However, keep in mind that this will most likely cause dry hair and breakage. If you are unsure of what to do, it’s advisable to see a professional stylist before attempting anything yourself!
Will purple shampoo lighten toner?
No, not by itself. Purple shampoo is a pigment that counteracts green and yellow tones in blonde hair and neutralizes any brassy tones caused by warmth and orange hues.
Hair toner over-correction can happen very quickly if you don’t know what you’re doing.
The best way to avoid this is to use pigments that are one shade lighter than the desired result. If unsure always opt for a lighter rather than darker tone especially when applying at home.