If you’re on the hunt for a new hairstyle that’s both edgy and eye-catching, peekaboo braids just might be what you’re looking for. But what are peekaboo braids? And how do you get the look?
Braids are having a moment right now. And we’re not talking about your standard three-strand plait.
We’re talking about cornrow braids, fishtail braids, Dutch braids, and French braids. But there’s one braid that’s been getting a lot of attention lately, and that’s the Peekaboo Braid.
We’re here with everything you need to know about peekaboo braids, including how to style them. So if you’re ready to add a little edge to your look, read on.
- 1 What are peekaboo braids?
- 2 What are knotless braids?
- 3 6 peekaboo braids ideas
- 4 Can I do Peekaboo Braids myself at home?
- 5 How to get the Peekaboo Braid look.
- 6 TOP TIPS!
- 7 Watch and learn: How to do peekaboo knotless braids DIY
- 8 Where to get Peekaboo Braids.
- 9 How much do Peekaboo Braids cost?
- 10 How long do Peekaboo Braids take to do?
- 11 How to care for Peekaboo Braids
- 12 How long do peekaboo braids last?
- 13 When to take out Peekaboo Braids
- 14 Parting words.
What are peekaboo braids?
Peekaboo braids are the latest trend to take over Instagram.
The name comes from weaving in brightly-colored hair extensions in the underlayer of your hair to make the colors stand-out and pop against your natural color. Peekaboo!
They are typically made with synthetic hair extensions or real human hair, and they can be styled in a variety of ways.
This trend is all about having fun with your hair and experimenting with color.
And the good news is, it’s a style that can be worn by anyone. Whether you have short hair, long hair, or somewhere in between, you can rock Peekaboo Braids.
Check out the latest looks over on our pinterest board for ideas and inspiration.
What are knotless braids?
The latest trend in braids is knotless braids, and they are exactly what they sound like – braids without knots!
This technique uses a special type of hair extension that is looped around the natural hair, rather than being tied in a knot.
The result is a smoother, more natural-looking braid that is less likely to cause damage to the hair.
Knotless braids are also much faster and easier to install than traditional braids, making them a great option for busy style legends on the go.
If you’re looking for a stylish and low-maintenance way to wear your hair, knotless braids are the perfect solution.
6 peekaboo braids ideas
Peekaboo violet purple
Peekaboo bubblegum pink
Peekaboo lime green
Peekaboo rainbow braids
Can I do Peekaboo Braids myself at home?
Well you’re in luck! Peekaboo braid tutorials are all over the internet.
You can find a video for just about any technique imaginable that will take you through it step-by-step.
If you’re not sure how to do it yourself, we recommend going to a salon and having a professional do it for you. It takes time and isn’t something that’s easy to do on yourself!
How to get the Peekaboo Braid look.
If you’re interested in trying out this hot trend, the first step is to find a color that you love.
You can choose any color you want, but we recommend going for something bold and bright. Find something that matches your personality or go for a color that’s completely out of your comfort zone.
Once you have your color, it’s time to start braiding!
There are a few different ways to style Peekaboo Braids, here’s our step-by-step guide to getting braids with knots right.
- STEP ONE: Start by dividing your hair into two sections – one top section and one bottom section. Clip the top section out of the way.
- STEP TWO: Take a small section of hair from the bottom section and divide it into three equal parts.
- STEP THREE: Take the colored extension (without clips) and start braiding it under the natural hair, adding in a small section of hair from the side as you go.
- STEP FOUR: Begin braiding by taking the right-most strand and crossing it over to the middle. Then take the left-most strand and cross it over to the middle. Tucking in the colored hair extension as you go.
- STEP FIVE:Continue this pattern until you reach the end of the braid.
- STEP SIX: Once you reach the end, secure the braid with a clear elastic band.
- STEP SEVEN: Repeat steps 2-5 as many times as you want braids – concentration on the underside of your hair to get that peekaboo effect.
- STEP EIGHT: To finish, take down the top section of hair and divide it into two sections.
- STEP NINE: Braid the rest of your hair without hair extensions until you’re done!
- STEP TEN: Secure all braids with clear elastic bands and mist with a light-hold hairspray.
Once your peekaboo braids are in, you can style them any way you want. We love wearing ours in a messy bun or a half-up, half-down style to show off the colors.
– If your braids are too loose, try using smaller sections of hair.
– If your braids are too tight, try using larger sections of hair.
– If you can’t get the hang of it, try using a braid aid or braid tool to help you create the perfect braid every time.
– Don’t be afraid to experiment! Try different colors, styles, and sizes until you find something that you love.
Watch and learn: How to do peekaboo knotless braids DIY
This is a great tutorial that shows you how to do a peekaboo knotless braid using extensions in your hair.
Where to get Peekaboo Braids.
The best place to get peekaboo braids is at a reputable salon.
A good stylist will be able to help you choose the right style and color of hair extensions, and they will also be able to apply them properly so that they last longer.
If your hair is right for it, they can dye your hair before braiding it, but this is a lengthy and damaging process.
Your hair will need to be bleached first so that the bright and vivid colors of the peekaboo braids stand out.
We recommend going for the safer option of colorful extensions which won’t damage your own hair and you can always switch out.
How much do Peekaboo Braids cost?
The cost of peekaboo braids will vary depending on the length and thickness of your hair, as well as the type of extensions you choose.
Expect to pay anywhere from $100 to $400 for the style.
How long do Peekaboo Braids take to do?
Again, this will depend on the length and thickness of your hair, as well as the style you choose.
But generally speaking, you can expect the process to take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours.
How to care for Peekaboo Braids
Caring for peekaboo braids is similar to caring for any other type of braid:
- Be sure to use a gentle shampoo and conditioner, and avoid products that contain alcohol or sulfates.
- It’s also important to keep your scalp clean and moisturized to avoid dryness and itchiness.
- We recommend using a lightweight oil or serum to keep your hair looking shiny and healthy.
How long do peekaboo braids last?
With proper care, this awesome style can last anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks.
To extend the life of your braids, be sure to avoid tight hairstyles that can pull on the hair and cause breakage.
You should also avoid sleeping with wet hair, as this can lead to tangles and matting.
When to take out Peekaboo Braids
Peekaboo braids can be worn for anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks.
After that, the hair extensions will start to loosen and fall out.
You may also notice that your own hair is looking a bit damaged from all of the braiding and styling.
If you want to give your hair a break, we recommend taking out the peekaboo braids and giving your scalp a good massage with an oil or serum.
This will help to nourish and revitalize your hair. You can then decide if you want to put the braids back in or try a different style.
We hope you’ve enjoyed learning about peekaboo braids!
This fun and stylish trend is perfect for summertime, and we love how versatile it is.
Whether you choose to go for a subtle look with a few colorful strands peeking out, or you want to go all-out with brightly colored extensions, there’s an option for everyone.
So what are you waiting for? Give peekaboo braids a try today!