If you’re on the hunt for a new hairstyle that’s both edgy and eye-catching, peekaboo braids just might be what you’re looking for. But what are peekaboo braids? And how do you get the look?
Braids are having a moment right now. And we’re not talking about your standard three-strand plait.
We’re talking about cornrow braids, fishtail braids, Dutch braids, box braids and French braids! But there’s one braid that’s been getting a lot of attention lately, and that’s the Peekaboo Braid.
We’re here with everything you need to know about peekaboo braids, what colors look on point and how you can style them. So if you’re ready to add a little edge to your look, read on.
Table of Contents
- 1 What are peekaboo braids?
- 3 9 Trending Peekaboo Braids Ideas
- 4 #1 Violet purple peekaboo braids
- 5 #2 Bubblegum pink peekaboo braids
- 6 #3 Lime green peekaboo braids
- 7 #4 Peekaboo ombre
- 8 #5 Gold peekaboo knotless braids
- 9 #6 Peekaboo rainbow braids
- 10 #7 Electric blue peekaboo braids with beads
- 11 #8 Platinum blonde peekaboo braids
- 12 #9 Red peekaboo box braids
- 13 Peek a boo braids FAQs
- 14 Can I do Peekaboo Braids myself at home?
- 15 What are knotless braids?
- 16 How to get the Peekaboo Braid look.
- 17 Watch and learn: How to do peekaboo knotless braids DIY
- 18 TOP TIPS!
- 19 Where to get Peekaboo Braids.
- 20 How much do Peekaboo Braids cost?
- 21 How long do Peekaboo Braids take to do?
- 22 How to care for Peekaboo Braids
- 23 How long do peekaboo braids last?
- 24 When to take out Peekaboo Braids
- 25 Parting words.
- 26 Author
What are peekaboo braids?
Peekaboo braids are the latest trend to take over Instagram.
The name comes from weaving in brightly-colored hair extensions in the underlayer of your hair to make the colors stand-out and pop against your natural hair color. Peekaboo!
They are typically made with synthetic hair extensions or real human hair, and they can be styled in a variety of ways.
This trend is all about having fun with your hair and experimenting with color.
And the good news is, it’s a style that can be worn by anyone. Whether you have short hair, long hair, or somewhere in between, you can rock Peek a boo Braids.
Check out the latest looks over on our pinterest board for ideas and inspiration.
9 Trending Peekaboo Braids Ideas
Peekaboo braids offer a cool and daring twist to your regular braid, letting you to express yourself with more sass and creativity!
Whether you have short or long hair – these 9 trendy peekaboo braiding ideas are sure to give you an edgy look in no time. Here’s all the inspiration you need.
#1 Violet purple peekaboo braids
Violet purple peekaboo braids are a fun way to add a pop of color to your everyday look.
The bright purple color pairs well with darker hair and really makes a statement when styled in braids.
#2 Bubblegum pink peekaboo braids
Bubblegum pink is a playful and feminine color that looks great with peekaboo highlights.
Pink peekaboo braids have made a huge comeback thanks to the hype around Barbie! They’re perfect for those who want to add a touch of girliness to their look.
#3 Lime green peekaboo braids
Lime green peekaboo braids are perfect for those who want to stand out in a crowd with some colorful neon streaks.
The bold color is perfect for summer and looks incredible in space buns or a cute updo.
#4 Peekaboo ombre
Ombre peekaboo braids feature a gradual fade from one color to another.
This is a great option for those who want to add multiple colors to their look without going all out. There are endless possibilities with this style, so get creative!
#5 Gold peekaboo knotless braids
Gold peekaboo braids are perfect for those who want to add a touch of glamour to their look.
This shade of gold looks epic on darker hair and we love it styled in peekaboo box braids too.
#6 Peekaboo rainbow braids
Rainbow peekaboo braids feature sections of hair in every color of the rainbow.
This style is perfect for those who want to make a bold statement and show off their fun-loving personality. We also love this look on blonde hair braids and knotless braids.
#7 Electric blue peekaboo braids with beads
Electric blue peekaboo braids are a bold choice for those who aren’t afraid to stand out.
Add some beads in the end of your hair, bright hair elastics or other hair accessories for an extra touch of flair.
#8 Platinum blonde peekaboo braids
Peekaboo braids are not just for dark hair!
We love platinum blonde peekaboo braids for an awesome summer look. This takes a lot of bleaching so your hair will have to be in good condition to be up for it.
But the bright pops of color under blonde are stunning enough to be well worth it.
#9 Red peekaboo box braids
Red peekaboo box braids are the new cool kid on the block, and let me tell you, they are the ultimate hair upgrade for anyone looking to spice up their style.
These trendy braids are a combination of classic box braids, but with a bold twist!
Red peek a boo box braids feature a stunning red hue strategically woven into the hair, which creates pop of color that is absolutely eye-catching.
What’s cool about these braids is how versatile they can be.
Whether you’re headed to a festival, enjoying a day out with friends, or even a work function, Red peekaboo braids will effortlessly complete any outfit with a distinct look.
Peek a boo braids FAQs
Can I do Peekaboo Braids myself at home?
Well you’re in luck! Peekaboo braid tutorials are all over the internet.
You can find a video for just about any technique imaginable that will take you through it step-by-step.
If you’re not sure how to do it yourself, we recommend going to a salon and having a professional do it for you. It takes time and isn’t something that’s easy to do on yourself!
What are knotless braids?
The latest trend in braids is knotless braids, and they are exactly what they sound like – braids without knots!
This technique uses a special type of hair extension that is looped around the natural hair, rather than being tied in a knot.
The result is a smoother, more natural-looking braid that is less likely to cause damage to the hair.
Knotless braids are also much faster and easier to install than traditional braids, making them a great option for busy style legends on the go.
If you’re looking for a stylish and low-maintenance way to wear your hair, peekaboo knotless braids are the perfect solution.
How to get the Peekaboo Braid look.
If you’re interested in trying out this hot trend, the first step is to find a color that you love.
You can choose any color you want, but we recommend going for something bold and bright. Find something that matches your personality or go for a color that’s completely out of your comfort zone.
Once you have your color, it’s time to start braiding!
There are a few different ways to style Peekaboo Braids, here’s our step-by-step guide to getting braids with knots right.
- STEP ONE: Start by dividing your hair into two sections – one top section and one bottom section. Clip the top section out of the way.
- STEP TWO: Take a small section of hair from the bottom section and divide it into three equal parts.
- STEP THREE: Take the colored extension (without clips) and start braiding it under the natural hair, adding in a small section of hair from the side as you go.
- STEP FOUR: Begin braiding by taking the right-most strand and crossing it over to the middle. Then take the left-most strand and cross it over to the middle. Tucking in the colored hair extension as you go.
- STEP FIVE:Continue this pattern until you reach the end of the braid.
- STEP SIX: Once you reach the end, secure the braid with a clear elastic band.
- STEP SEVEN: Repeat steps 2-5 as many times as you want braids – concentration on the underside of your hair to get that peekaboo effect.
- STEP EIGHT: To finish, take down the top section of hair and divide it into two sections.
- STEP NINE: Braid the rest of the hair without hair extensions until you’re done!
- STEP TEN: Secure all braids with clear elastic bands and mist with a light-hold hairspray.
Once your peekaboo braids are in, you can style them any way you want. We love wearing ours in a messy bun or a half-up, half-down style to show off the colors.
Watch and learn: How to do peekaboo knotless braids DIY
This is a great tutorial that shows you how to do a peekaboo knotless braid using extensions in your hair.
– If your braids are too loose, try using smaller sections of hair.
– If your braids are too tight, try using larger sections of hair.
– If you can’t get the hang of it, try using a braid aid or braid tool to help you create the perfect braid every time.
– Don’t be afraid to experiment! Try different colors, styles, and sizes until you find something that you love.
Where to get Peekaboo Braids.
The best place to get peekaboo braids is at a reputable salon.
A good stylist will be able to help you choose the right style and color of hair extensions. They will also be able to apply them properly so that they last longer and withstand any tugging!
If your hair is the right texture for it, they can dye your hair before braiding it, but this is a lengthy and damaging process.
Your hair will need to be bleached first so that the bright and vivid colors of the peekaboo braids stand out.
We recommend going for the safer option of colorful extensions which won’t damage your own hair and you can always switch out.
How much do Peekaboo Braids cost?
The cost of peekaboo braids will vary depending on the length and thickness of your hair, as well as the type of extensions you choose.
Expect to pay anywhere from $100 to $400 for this sassy style.
How long do Peekaboo Braids take to do?
Again, this will depend on the length and thickness of your hair, as well as the style you choose.
But generally speaking, you can expect the process to take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours.
How to care for Peekaboo Braids
Caring for peekaboo hair braids is similar to caring for any other type of braid:
- Be sure to use a gentle shampoo and conditioner, and avoid products that contain alcohol or sulfates.
- It’s also important to keep your scalp clean and moisturized to avoid dryness and itchiness.
- We recommend using a lightweight oil or serum to keep your hair looking shiny and healthy.
How long do peekaboo braids last?
With proper care, your peekaboo hairstyle can last anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks.
To extend the life of your braids, be sure to avoid tight hairstyles that can pull on the hair and cause breakage.
You should also avoid sleeping with wet hair, as this can lead to tangles and matting.
When to take out Peekaboo Braids
Peekaboo braids can be worn for anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks.
After that, the hair extensions or colored braids will start to loosen and fall out.
You may also notice that your own locks are looking a bit damaged from all of the braiding and styling.
If you want to give your hair a break, we recommend taking out the peekaboo braids and giving your scalp a good massage with an oil or serum.
This will help to nourish and revitalize your hair. You can then decide if you want to put the braids back in or try a different style.
We hope you’ve enjoyed learning about peekaboo braids!
This fun and stylish trend is perfect for summertime, and we love how versatile it is.
Whether you choose to go for a subtle look with a few colorful strands peeking out, or you want to go all-out with brightly colored extensions, there’s an option for everyone.
So what are you waiting for? Give peekaboo braids a try today!