So you want to add some color to your hair but you don’t want to use harsh chemicals? Look no further than your kitchen cupboard! Kool-Aid packets are an easy and inexpensive way to dye your hair, plus, it’s a lot of fun. Here’s how to dye your hair with Kool-Aid – step-by-step.
Like dyeing your hair with tissue paper, this tried and tested DIY method has come back in favor thanks to the pandemic and everyone trying out dyeing their own hair at home.
Great for dipped ends, all-over color and even fantasy hair color techniques, it continues to be a favorite among alt hair color enthusiasts – and is great for kids hair too. The color will only last a few washes – so if you’re looking for something permanent, this isn’t the method for you.
But you’re ready to grab your favourite flavor, have fun experimenting and put some Kool color into your life – you’re sure to find the perfect shade for you!
We’re here to guide you through the process, what you need, how use it without damaging your hair (or bathroom!) and top tips to get it right first time.
So let’s get started!
- 1 How to dye your hair with Kool Aid – step by step.
- 2 Watch and learn: How to dye your hair with Kool-Aid.
- 3 Kool-Aide hair dye Top Tips
- 4 What is Kool-Aid?
- 5 How long do you leave your hair in Kool-Aid to dye it?
- 6 Is it OK to dye your hair with Kool-Aid?
- 7 How many packets of Kool-Aid do you need to dye your hair?
- 8 Can Kool-Aid lighten my hair?
- 9 What color Kool-Aid work on dark hair?
- 10 Can you dye your hair with Kool-Aid more than once?
- 11 Parting words.
How to dye your hair with Kool Aid – step by step.
What You’ll Need: The essentials
– Kool-Aid packets
– A bowl or container to mix the dye in
– Plastic gloves (optional)
– An old towel (optional)
– Shampoo and conditioner
What to do: Step-by-step
1) Start with clean, dry hair. If your hair is oily, you’ll want to shampoo it first with a clarifying shampoo.
2) Choose the color or colors of Kool-Aid that you want to use. Berry Blue and Grape are good choices for blue hues, while Cherry and Strawberry can give you red tones. For purple, mix Berry Blue and Grape together.
3) Mix the Kool-Aid powder with an equal amount of water in a bowl or container.
4) Apply the mixture to your hair, making sure to saturate all of the strands evenly.
5) Wrap your head in plastic wrap or a shower cap, and let the dye sit for 30 minutes to an hour.
6) Rinse your hair thoroughly with water until the water runs clear. shampoo and condition as usual. Add a little extra conditioner to help protect your hair from the drying effects of the dye.
And that’s it! Now you can enjoy your new colorful hair without having to worry about damaging your locks.
Watch and learn: How to dye your hair with Kool-Aid.
Here’s a great film that shows you how easy it is to get it right at home.
Kool-Aide hair dye Top Tips
– If you have light hair, you can mix the Kool Aid powder with conditioner instead of water to avoid over-drying your hair.
– Don’t forget to do a patch test before you start dying your whole head! Just mix up a small amount of the mixture and apply it to a small section of skin, like your wrist or behind your ear. Wait 24 hours to see if you have any adverse reaction before proceeding.
– Kool Aid is temporary, so it will wash out on your next shampoo.
– Have fun with it! Kool Aid comes in so many different colors, so you can mix and match to create your own unique shade. Or, for a more natural look, try using fruit juices or tea as your dye base. The sky’s the limit!
What is Kool-Aid?
Kool-Aid is a type of drink mix that comes in powder form and is available in a variety of colors and flavors.
The powder is typically mixed with water, sugar, and sometimes milk to create a sweetened beverage.
It’s most commonly associated with brightly colored drinks, but the powder can also be used to dye hair, fabric, and other materials.
While the color will eventually fade, it can be a fun way to experiment with different shades in a safe way without permanently altering your appearance.
How long do you leave your hair in Kool-Aid to dye it?
Kool-Aid hair dye is a popular choice for those looking to add a pop of color to their locks, and it’s a fairly simple process.
You should apply the dye to your dry, clean hair and leave it in for 30 minutes to an hour. The longer you leave the dye in, the deeper the color will be.
Once the desired amount of time has passed, rinse your hair with warm water until the water runs clear. And that’s it! You’ll have vibrant, colorful hair that’s sure to turn heads.
Just be sure to use a non-metal bowl and avoid getting the dye on your clothes or skin, as it can stain.
Is it OK to dye your hair with Kool-Aid?
The short answer is yes! Kool-Aid is actually one of the safest and most gentle hair dyes you can use. It’s non-toxic and won’t damage your hair, so you can experiment with all sorts of fun colors without any worries.
Kool-Aid is made with food coloring, so it’s actually pretty gentle on your hair.
And second, it’s temporary, so it’s pretty much foolproof – even if you make a mistake, you can just rinse the color out and start again. Phew!
How many packets of Kool-Aid do you need to dye your hair?
This will depend on the length and thickness of your hair, but a good rule of thumb is to use two packets for shoulder-length hair, and four packets for long or thick hair.
Keep in mind that the colors can be mixed and matched to create your perfect shade, so don’t be afraid to experiment!
Can Kool-Aid lighten my hair?
If you’re thinking about taking the DIY route, there are a few things you should know first.
For starters, Kool-Aid won’t lighten your hair like bleach will. So, if you’re hoping to go from brunette to blonde, you’re out of luck.
However, if you’re looking to add a little bit of color to your locks, Kool-Aid can be a fun and easy way to do it.
What color Kool-Aid work on dark hair?
When it comes to Kool-Aid, there’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all answer.
The best color for your hair will depend on the shade of Kool-Aid you use, as well as the color of your hair to begin with.
If you have dark hair, for example, using a dark-colored Kool-Aid like blue or purple is likely to give you the best results.
On the other hand, if you have light-colored hair, using a lighter shade of Kool-Aid like pink or yellow is more likely to show up and give you the desired effect.
Keep in mind that this isn’t hair dye, so the colors won’t be as rich and vibrant as if you were using proper hair dye and won’t last as long.
Ultimately, the best way to find out what color Kool-Aid works best on your hair is to experiment and see what works best for you. Who knows, you might just discover your new favorite flavor in the process!
Can you dye your hair with Kool-Aid more than once?
Yes, you can definitely dye your hair with Kool-Aid more than once – in fact, it’s actually pretty gentle on your locks, so feel free to experiment as much as you like!
And that’s it! Kool-Aid is a cheap, fun and easy way to add a pop of color to your hair, and it’s pretty much foolproof.
Get experimenting and you’ll have vibrant, colorful hair that’s sure to turn heads. Have fun!