In our best hot air brush for coloured hair reviews, we talked you through the best hot air brushes around this year and why the devil you need one. (TL;DR they’re less damaging than straighteners but do the same job, and more.) Now we’re here with an in-depth review of our absolute fave – the Dyson Airwrap Styler.
Let’s start with the basics…
- 1 What is a hot air brush?
- 2 Which is the best hot air brush for coloured hair?
- 3 The Dyson Airwrap Styler.
- 4 In the box.
- 5 The Look and feel.
- 6 How does the Dyson Airwrap Styler work?
- 7 How do I use the Dyson Airwrap Styler?
- 8 What are the pros of having the Dyson Airwrap Styler in my life?
- 9 What are the cons of having the Dyson Airwrap Styler in my life?
- 10 Is the Dyson Airwrap Styler really good for coloured hair?
- 11 Is the Dyson Airwrap Styler really worth the money?
- 12 What other Dyson Aiwrap sets can I buy?
What is a hot air brush?
Hot air brushes are a plug-in heat styling tool of dreams. These clever little marvels work by blowing hot air through a vented barrel to style your coloured hair while you brush it dry.
They’re not designed to replace your regular dryer – you’ll still need to use your hair dryer to get 80% of the wetness out of your hair. Most have a cool setting that can be used to seal the style too.
If you can get used to using a hot air styler correctly, you’ve no need for straighteners, curling tongs or any other tools.~Elena Rossi, Hairdresser and Professional Colourist
Which is the best hot air brush for coloured hair?
Without question, the Dyson Airwrap Styler blew us away when we reviewed the best hot air brushes on the market today.
The best hot air brush for every day use.
Beautiful design and great results of the smoothest, silkiest hair from those clever engineers at Dyson. However, it’s the fact that this uses air and not heating elements to give us salon-worthy results that makes this our best hot air brush for coloured hair.
SO here’s our in-depth review on what makes the Dyson Airwrap Styler so fabulous!
The Dyson Airwrap Styler.
In the box.
- 30mm Airwrap barrels – For creating volume and curls
- 40mm Airwrap barrels – For creating bigger volume, curls and waves
- Firm smoothing brush – For straightening thick, frizzy hair
- Soft smoothing brush – For straightening medium to fine hair
- Round volumising brush – For volume!
- Pre-styling dryer – To make sure your hair completely dry before styling
- Storage case – Your box of tricks
- Non-slip mat – For table tops
- Filter cleaning brush – To erm…clean the filter.
Phew! In the Airwrap Complete set, Dyson very generously give you a whole plethora of accessories that come with the styler itself.
They’re beautifully well made and MAGNETIC so easy to pop on and off when you’re styling. This is way more than any other air brush we reviewed in Best hot air brush, will give you.
The Look and feel.
Just look at it. Isn’t it gorgeous? The quality is evident from when you first open the box.
From the brand that brought you the best vacuum cleaners and without a doubt, the best hair dryer, the Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer, behold…the Dyson Airwrap styler.
We were surprised to find the actual Airwrap styler is a lot lighter than it looks, even with the attachments. The cord is a good length so you have the flexibility to move it around your head. The attachments themselves are pretty intuitive to use and pop on and off.
How does the Dyson Airwrap Styler work?
Like their Supersonic hair dryer, The AirWrap uses the same tiny but powerful motor as the hair dryer, which has been engineered within an inch of its life to be magically powerful yet quiet.
Stylish design for the best hair styling.
The motor creates the ‘Coanda effect’ which means instead of heat, it uses a jet flow of air that attracts your hair to the barrel, wrapping it around to create amazing results.
The idea is that the air flow mimics a hair stylist’s blow-drying technique, directing air down the hair and creating the style, relying on air rather than extreme heat – working wonders for colour treated hair.
How do I use the Dyson Airwrap Styler?
First, the pre-styling dryer.
We thought this would be a mini hair dryer, used to blast away the rest of the moisture in our hair after leaving it to dry naturally, and before we begin styling. But no! You can use it for that. But this is also a stand-alone styling attachment that smooths and styles and dries your hair too.
This makes it perfect as a hairdryer-come-straightener that we can use quickly in the morning before we leave the house. It can also be used to smooth your hair ready for styling when you have the time.
Next, the brushes.
Let’s get this straight, this isn’t a brush like you brush through your hair for 30 seconds and you’re done. This takes time, almost as much time as straightening your hair. But you’re also drying it, so you’re saving on time and appliances in the long run.
Like the pre-styling dryer, this can be used on it’s own and we even tried it on our hair straight from wet (naughty!). It worked a treat and the results were much smoother and sleeker hair than drying the usual way, with a hair dryer and separate brush. It did take longer though but we only used one arm, so.
Ready for beach waves?
Now, for the curling barrels.
These can be used straight after drying your hair with the pre-styling drying attachment as your hair needs to be a little damp for the best effects.
These are tricky to get the hang of at first, we’ll be honest. What’s amazing is that the curling barrels have arrows on to help guide you in the right direction when you’re working them down the lengths of your hair (so you’ll need to be in front of a mirror to see them!).
Transform your styling habits.
What’s also amazing is how your hair is literally sucked in flat against the barrel of the Airwrap, no snags or worrying that your hair will get caught in the ends.
It also means your wrists get a break as you’re no having tot twist and wrap the hair yourself! As we said, this is a hot air brush like no other so you’ll need to think differently about how you use it. The results are well worth it.
What are the pros of having the Dyson Airwrap Styler in my life?
- Extremely versatile (for smooth, curly, short or long hair)
- It gives gives great volume, unlike straighteners.
- It’s lightweight and easy to maneuver.
- It only takes one hand! Your arms won’t get so tired.
- It doesn’t heat up your hair or have as much contact as straighteners so it’s less damaging.
- Great for travelling – you can just air dry your hair and finish off with one heat styling tool.
- Cool air setting to seal your colour in and prevent fade.
- It uses air, not heating elements (although it does get very hot!).
- It comes with enough attachments to make it replace your hair dryer, curling tongs AND straighteners.
- It’s quieter than others out there.
- Great for everyday use as it’s not as damaging.
- It’s Dyson, so the quality is evident from when you first get it out of the box.
What are the cons of having the Dyson Airwrap Styler in my life?
- They’re not as good as straighteners for making poker straight hair, but we’re all about waves now anyway.
- The price!
Is the Dyson Airwrap Styler really good for coloured hair?
What made us review the Dyson Airwrap Styler for coloured hair, is that it that you can control the heat and power to make it just right for the condition of your hair.
For our medium-thick frizzy, shoulder-length hair, we found the hottest setting but on medium power dried out hair super quick without damaging it.
Goodbye all other styling tools!
Since we’ve had this, we haven’t touched our straighteners and it’s easily less damaging than using your hair dryer and straighteners every day. It’s worth the investment to look after your coloured hair and keep that colour from fading.
Is the Dyson Airwrap Styler really worth the money?
In our opinion, yes! (You knew we would say that).
But look, the truth is, we spend a lot of money having our hair lightened, highlighted, extended, treated, styled and dyed. Anything that prolongs our colour and keeps it looking like we’ve just had it done, really is a great investment.
“Why wouldn’t you invest in looking after your hair? It’s such a big part of how you look and feel about yourself. Abusing your hair with straighteners and products that aren’t right for your colour is sheer madness.”~Paul Letts, Hair Stylist and Salon Owner
What other Dyson Aiwrap sets can I buy?
If you want to save a few bob, you can buy the kit by your hair type. The Airwrap Smooth + Control, is for thicker, frizz prone hair and the Airwrap Volume + Shape adds volume and shape (yes!) to limp, flat hair.
We often find however, that the complete kit ends up being more cost effective and cheaper than the other kits. Our Dyson Airwrap Styler review is all the reasons why.