Smoothing flyaways, controlling frizz, locking in colour – the best hair serum for coloured hair can transform your life and locks.
Knowing the right hair serum for you and how to apply it can be a slippery silicone minefield. We’re here to help you get the swishiest, silkiest hair you’ll love!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn on qualifying purchases.
- 1 What are hair serums?
- 2 What do hair serums do?
- 3 How do I use hair serums?
- 4 Are hair serums good for coloured hair?
- 5 What is the best hair serum for coloured hair?
- 6 Best Hair Serums at a glance.
- 7 TOP PICK!
- 8 COLOR WOW Dream Coat.
- 9 #1 Kerastase Reflection Chromatic Fluid.
- 10 #2. COLOR WOW Dream Coat.
- 11 #3 The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Serum for Hair Density
- 12 #4 L’Oreal Serie Expert Serioxyl Denser Serum
- 13 #5 Aussie Shine On Hair Serum.
- 14 They say:
- 15 #6 John Frieda Frizz Ease Extra Strength Serum.
- 16 TOP PICK!
- 17 COLOR WOW Dream Coat.
What are hair serums?
Hair serum is a cuticle-sealing, shine-giving miracle frizz taming remedy. What it isn’t, is an oil. It’s a liquid-based silicone styling product made to smooth, shine and coat your hair shafts with goodness.
It works differently to oil in that it coats to outside of your hair, whereas oil sinks in and penetrates your hair fibre – adding shine, smoothness, hydration, and humidity protection.
Serums can be applied to wet or dry hair, as both a pre-styling treatment and a finishing solution. Making it a versatile, handy product for in between washes and touch ups on the go.
What do hair serums do?
Hair serums coat your hair without dulling its colour. Giving it a super shine and an extra protective barrier against the elements.
Their protective barrier can be used as a quick-fix to control frizz, flyaways and the dreaded, haystack hair. It’s an essential for keeping coloured locks smooth and silky. As with most styling products, it’s all in the application.
How do I use hair serums?
Hair serums come in all shapes and sizes of density and thickness. So you can choose the levels of coating you need based on the condition of your hair and what you want the serum to do.
The right hair serum for you and how you use it comes with trial and error. Here are a few do’s and don’ts to get you going.
- Use it after styling to control flyaways and smooth frizz.
- Use it before drying your hair for heat protection.
- Apply it to the mid-lengths and ends of your hair, where your hair is older and will have more damage.
- Choose the right serum density for you hair.
- Apply too much. You’ll risk your hair looking greasy.
- Apply your serum straight out of the bottle. Warm it in between your fingers first to make sure it goes a long way.
- Apply your serum to unwashed hair. It forms a protective layer so any dirt or dust on your hair will get locked in.
- Apply to your roots – this will make your hair look super greasy.
Top tips from the professionals.
Are hair serums good for coloured hair?
Hair processing and colouring can make your ends dry and your hair’s overall sheen flat. Hair serums can lock in your colour to prevent dulling, fading, and damage.
Picking which serum is right for you depends on the condition and thickness of your hair.
If you have thin hair, you may want to try a thickening serum, or a lightweight serum that won’t weight down your hair.
If you have thick, dry hair, hair serums are made for you!
There are also serums to enhance the curls in curly and wavy hair.
For us coloured hair lovers, we need colour protection and have shiny hair goals. If you style your hair often, hair serums also protect against damage due to heat.
What is the best hair serum for coloured hair?
From smoothing frizz to ramping up the high-gloss shine, here is the best hair serum for coloured hair you need to keep your dyed locks looking fabulous!
Best Hair Serums at a glance.
COLOR WOW Dream Coat.
Best for: Long lasting shine.
Dream Coat promises a ‘waterproof coat’ but there’s nothing plasticky about it. It makes your hair smooth and shiny and lasted after one wash on our colour treated hair. This tops the best hair serum for coloured hair for us.
#1 Kerastase Reflection Chromatic Fluid.
- A softening essence for colour-treated or highlighted hair.
- It nourishes and protects hair while providing a perfect radiance.
- Part of the Les Touches Chromatiques, the 1st colour correcting ink-in-care for colour-treated hair.
- The shampoo and conditioner are both in our top rated products.
“Kerastase Chromatique products deliver on the shine and smoothness they promise for colour treated hair. It is like having brand new hair switching to this serum!”
“I’m ‘addicted’ to this serum for my long hair and curls. You can feel and see the effects immediately. It makes a super nice shine, I will be coming back for more! ;)”
“I bought this and carry it around for the gym. I’ve also used it in humid weather and before straightening. It doesn’t feel greasy at all. Highly recommend it to anyone with dyed hair.”
We’ve loved Kerastase forever and their colour shampoo and conditioners have long been a must buy for us with their unique restorative powers. This is a great addition to the must-have list.
It left our hair feeling soft without any residue. You have to use sparingly as it’s super concentrated. So it goes a long way, but probably best for thicker hair.
Best for: Thicker hair.
#2. COLOR WOW Dream Coat.
- Heat-activated polymer works to compress, tighten and seal hair strands.
- Hair is supernaturally-sleek, smooth and super-silky.
- Unlike typical “humidity-guard” serums, Dream Coat will not build up, weigh hair down or make it greasy.
- Activated by heat, effects last through 3 to 4 shampoos.
“This product is great it does exactly what it says. It really helps to keep your hair soft, shiny and manageable.”
“I used Dream Filter on my highlighted hair and what a difference. I love it. Dream Coat is just as awesome, my hair is straight and silky. And it lasts for days.”
“So impressed with this product that I ordered the larger bottle so I don’t run out. Love WOW.”
Color WOW have coloured hair products nailed. Their root cover up and conditioner top our Best Of Lists year on year.
This is a spray that works like a serum. The reviews are excellent and after one application, we could see why. Dream Coat promises a ‘waterproof coat’ but there’s nothing plasticky about it. It makes your hair smooth and shiny and lasted after one wash on our colour treated hair. This tops the list for us.
Best for: Long lasting shine.
#3 The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Serum for Hair Density
- A concentrated formula specially designed to support hair health.
- Works to promote a thicker, denser, fuller and healthier-looking head of hair.
- An ultra-lightweight hair serum has an emollient base for effective penetration and maximum results.
“I’m a 25 year old woman, and whether from using heat tools or colouring my hair a lot, my hair had started to really thin above my temples. Now you would never know. It does take time but long term usage definitely pays off.”
“I use this hair serum almost every night before bed, and I can see that my baby hair has finally started growing longer. The good thing is that it doesn’t leave the hair greasy.”
“I have a very itchy, flakey, irritated scalp, so I got this to moisturise and exfoliate. When I use this regularly I notice a lot less hair shed and my scalp has no itchiness or flakes. I can also go longer in between shampoos now!”
Stripping back unnecessary packaging and surplus ingredients, The Ordinary has shaken up the skin care industry with their high-performing products. Now they’re turning their attention to hair and as big fans of their skin care, we had to give this hot new product a go.
Promising thicker, denser, fuller and healthier hair, this concentrated serum is different from a styling product. It unites natural extracts, peptides and caffeine to nourish your hair from root to tip.
We found it worked wonders on our scalp which was dry from all the processing it goes through. Use this to keep your hair and scalp healthy and in the best condition for colour.
Best for: Healthier hair and scalp.
#4 L’Oreal Serie Expert Serioxyl Denser Serum
- A super serum that’s suitable for female and men who have very fine or thinning hair, or suffer from hair loss.
- Protects against oxidative stress.
- The formula will leave your hair looking denser and feeling fuller.
“I don’t know exactly how it works but I do think that my hair looks fuller and I’m sure that the shedding is less.”
“I highlight my hair every couple of months and this has been a godsend.”
“After using this for about month and half, I realised my hairs looked thicker and many new hairs are growing. I would highly recommend this product.”
One of the facts of life we live with at Coloured Hair Care is hair breakage. The processing and dyeing, straightening, crimping and waving we love to do plays havoc with our locks and makes them prone to breaking.
This serum is a heavily formulated wonder potion to help your hair grow thicker and denser, with less breakage. You don’t have to be losing hair to try this, it’s great for repairing damage in places where your hair naturally thins. Finer hair, this is the one for you.
Best for: Thickening up fine hair.
#5 Aussie Shine On Hair Serum.
- Bring some shine to your locks with this Shine On hair serum.
- It leaves hair soft, protects coloured hair AND turns up the shine at the same time.
- All you need is a coin-sized amount of the rich formula that’s lovingly infused with Jojoba Seed Oil.
“Love this serum! It’s the best one I’ve tried. My hair being bleached is so dry and this really does give the shine back.”
“My hair has a slight curl and it’s quite long. Sometimes it can look flat and lifeless. This Aussie serum did great things and got compliments from work mates. Thanks Aussie. x”
“I love this! My hair was dry, damaged and not looking very good,after i used this it was so shiny and smooth!”
Back to styling serums and this one smells amazing! It’s a thinner serum than some of the other hair serums on the list but it really feels like your hair is drinking it in.
It gives instant smooth and a high-gloss shine. And it’s cheap as chips to boot.
Best for: Superior shine on a budget.
#6 John Frieda Frizz Ease Extra Strength Serum.
- Instantly eliminate chronic frizz.
- Repels humidity for glossy, silky-smooth style.
- Extra Strength formula, expertly formulated with an unique blend of silicones.
- Seals in moisture, prevents drying and makes hair glossier and stronger.
“Does what it says on the tin! Smooth and no frizz. Would purchase again. Would recommend for people with thick or fizzy hair.”
“I have the worst ‘humid’ hair ever! I used this on wet hair and dried it in sections. I gave it the ultimate test and walked to end of the beach and back on windy humid day and AMAZING my hair looked the same as it did when I left the house!”
“This is an absolute game changer. My hair is very frizzy and thick and this just completely smooths my hair out.”
Not strictly a coloured hair serum but this makes our list as it’s the best for thick, coarse hair. Put it on when wet for the best results and fabulous heat protection.
Frizz Ease overall is an excellent brand that we trust with all of our frizzy hair needs. This serum is one of their best.
Best for: Heat protection for thick hair.
COLOR WOW Dream Coat.
Best serum for: Long lasting shine.
Dream Coat promises a ‘waterproof coat’ but there’s nothing plasticky about it. It makes your hair smooth and shiny and lasted after one wash on our colour treated hair. This is the best hair serum for coloured hair for us.