Cool, warm, neutral…finding that gorgeous new hair colour that makes your eyes pop, your hair shine and your skin sparkle means getting to know your undertones. If you’re a cool cucumber looking for a new do, here’s everything you need to know about the best hair colours for your cool skin tones.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn on qualifying purchases.
What are skin tones?
Skin tones and undertones are actually two different things, even though they are both often referred to as ‘skin tones’.
Your skin tone – is the surface colour of your skin which can change with sun exposure, reactions to medication, or medical conditions like rosacea.
Your undertones – are your complexion and colour from underneath the surface of your skin that affects your overall hue.
There are three undertones – cool, warm, and neutral. Finding out which one you are is the key unlocking the right make-up and the right hair colours to suit you.
How do I find out my undertones?
Use our checklist below to find out your undertones. This will help you to double check that cool colours are for you.
If you have cool undertones:
- Your skin tone is pink or pale.
- You blush easily!
- Jewel and pastel colours are so your thing.
- The colour yellow washes you out and does not look good on you.
- You have blue not green veins in your wrist.
- Pearls and silver jewellery look awesome on you.
If you have warm undertones:
- You have red or golden tones in your natural hair.
- Your skin tone is golden, tan or olive.
- You might have freckles!
- You have green not blue veins in your wrist.
- You suit bright or rich shades better.
- Gold jewellery looks awesome on you.
What do cool skin tones look like?
If you have cool undertones, your skin will be slightly pink, red, or blue. You’ll probably burn easily or don’t tan very well. This is because your cool skin contains less less pigment.
A pink skin reddens quickly and you will blush easily! Neutral skin tones can also fall under the cool category. It’s more common to have light coloured eyes if you you have cool undertones, but not always.
What hair colours suit cool skin tones?
So you’ve ticked all the boxes and you’re ready to find out which are the best hair colours for cool skin tones?
Cool undertones fall into two fabulous colour ‘season’ categories – Winter and Summer. Warm colours are Autumn and Spring!
These are the spectrum of lush cool colours that will look best on you – whether it comes to choosing clothes, make-up or hair colours. Pick Winter or Summer colours and you’ll never go wrong.
Any hair colours with a blue or violet base will suit you.
Hair colours that won’t suit you:
- Bright reds
- Warm blondes
- Caramel or honey colours
What makes me suited to Winter colours?
- Winter colours typically have shades of blue and green eyes and super dark brown/black.
- You have lighter skin with pink undertones.
- You don’t tend to tan too easily.
- You were probably born with black/darker hair.
- You might have a striking contrast between your eyes, hair and face.
- The clothes colours that suit you are – whites, blacks, browns, navy, mustard, and burgundy.
If you suit summer colours, go for hair colours with a violet, blue or green base.
Colours that won’t suit you:
- Anything with an orange or golden base.
- No honey blondes.
- No golden browns.
What makes me suited to summer colours?
- Your eye colour can be darker, but on the whole people that suit summer colours will have lighter eyes, such as a very light blue, light green, hazel or super golden brown.
- Your skin tone is fair, usually with more of a pink or yellow undertone. Sometimes your skin can tan, more than those who suit Winter colours anyway.
- Your natural colour will be a dark ashy blonde, light ash brown or very light icy blonde.
- You suit clothes that are in summer colours – shades of green, pink, blue, and purple.