Ash purple hair is all the rage right now and we’re here to show you how to get the look.
Smoky tresses are a hot trend in hair color and it’s easier than you think to achieve this one at home.
This cool, pastel-toned color is confident and beautiful. Trust us – this is a style that will make everyone turn their heads.
With the right products and instructions, you can have this trendy look without having to go to a salon.
So if you want to be ahead of the curve, then we’ve got everything you need to know right here.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
- What is Ash Purple Hair?
- Why Ash Purple Hair is so Hot Right Now
- Is Ash Purple Hair Right for You?
- Will ash purple hair suit me?
- Which Hair Color Suits Me?
- Ash purple hair color inspiration.
- Getting the Ash Purple Trend At Home.
- Best ash purple hair dye at a glance
- Watch and learn: How to dye your hair ash purple at home.
- What are the risks of getting Ash Purple hair?
- How long does ash purple hair last?
- Does ash hair color fade?
- What color does ash purple hair fade into?
- Ash Purple Hair TLC: Maintenance Tips
- Parting words.
What is Ash Purple Hair?
Ash purple is a fusion of smoky gray with a hint of purple, making it the perfect blend of cool and mysterious.
Whether you’re going for a smokey mauve, pastel lavender, or ash violet, there’s a shade to match your style.
The great thing ash purple hair color it is that it is very versatile. It can be worn in a variety of styles, it can be light and dark and can be combined with other purple and pink hair colors to create multidimensional looks.
Check out the latest looks over on our Ash Purple Pinterest board for ideas and inspiration.
Why Ash Purple Hair is so Hot Right Now
With the world of hair color forever evolving, ash purple is stealing the spotlight, and it’s easy to see why.
From the subtle infusion of smokey undertones to the dreamy blend of lilac and ash, it’s a hair color that whispers elegance while shouting confidence.
Many of our favorite K-pop icons, from the dashing boys like BTS’s V and Jungkook, EXO’s Baekhyun, to the ethereal girls from groups like BLACKPINK and TWICE, have been spotted flaunting this divine shade.
Going from black hair to this smoky shade is easy and the smoky hue blends seamlessly with dark roots, making regrowth touch-ups less of a hassle.
Whether making a splash on global stages, featuring in slick music videos, or taking over our social media feeds, ash purple hair is firmly on our love list.
And given its striking yet sophisticated appeal, we’re all here for it!
Is Ash Purple Hair Right for You?
Dipping your strands in the smoky allure of ash purple is a bold move, but how do you know if it’s the right shade for your complexion?
It’s all about understanding the undertones of your skin.
Ash purple leans heavily on cool undertones.
This means its foundation is more blue or green, setting it apart from the red or yellow warmth of other colors.
That’s not to say warm skin tones can’t wear it too. Mix it with different warmer shades of pearl blonde, light caramel brown, or golden honey in ombre, balayage or highlighted styles to make it more your own.
Are you now wondering about your undertones? Let’s break it down:
If you have cool undertones:
- Your skin tone is pink or pale.
- You blush easily!
- Jewel and pastel colours are so your thing.
- The colour yellow washes you out and does not look good on you.
- You have blue not green veins in your wrist.
- Pearls and silver jewellery look awesome on you.
If you have warm undertones:
- You have red or golden tones in your natural hair.
- Your skin tone is golden, tan or olive.
- You might have freckles.
- You have green not blue veins in your wrist.
- You suit bright or rich shades better.
- Gold jewellery looks awesome on you.
Will ash purple hair suit me?
You can also find out which hair colour suits you by taking our quiz! Just answer a few quick questions to find out what other hair colours most suit you!
Which Hair Color Suits Me?
You can also try out some virtual colors in Here are the best apps to change your hair color!
Ash purple hair color inspiration.
Getting the Ash Purple Trend At Home.
If you want to dye your hair this hot new hue, you’ll need to start with a light blonde or ashy base.
This will involve bleaching your hair.
If you are not sure how to do this, or if you have never bleached your hair before, it is best to consult with a professional hairstylist.
Once your hair is light enough, you can then add the ashy purple hair dye or bubble hair dye of your choice! We recommend direct dyes like Manic Panic or Arctic Fox hair dye for the best results. Be sure to mix the dye correctly to achieve the desired shade.
If you have light brown hair, it’s a look that could work for you without needing to use bleach.
You’ll just need to add an ash purple semi-permanent hair dye to your light brown locks.
Here are a few of the best ash purple hair dyes you can buy to get the look.
Best ash purple hair dye at a glance
Watch and learn: How to dye your hair ash purple at home.
Here’s am easy how-to video that shows you how to color your hair this on-trend hue at home!
What are the risks of getting Ash Purple hair?
As with all hair color journeys, it’s best to be prepared and know the risks of what could go wrong. Here’s a heads-up on potential hiccups:
- Unexpected Tones: Depending on your natural hair color and any previous dyes, ash purple can sometimes pull more blue or even green. It’s always a good idea to strand-test first.
- Dryness: Coloring, especially when lightening is involved, can leave your hair feeling a bit parched. Ensure you’re deep-conditioning regularly.
- Quick Fading: Pastel and ash tones might fade quicker than deeper hues. Plan for touch-ups or enjoy the evolution of your color as it transforms.
- Reaction to Products: If trying a new brand of hair dye or bleach, always conduct a patch test 48 hours prior to full application to ensure no allergic reactions occur.
How long does ash purple hair last?
This gray-purple hue will usually last for around four to six weeks.
However, it will depend on how often you shampoo and style your hair, as well as the quality of the dye that you use.
If you use semi-permanent hair dye – which is less damaging to your hair than permanent hair dye – you can expect the color to last for around six to 10 washes.
If you use permanent hair dye – you can expect the color to last for around four to six weeks before it starts to fade.
Of course, root regrowth, your lifestyle and how often you wash your all come into play when determining how long your color will look beautiful.
Does ash hair color fade?
Totally. While all hair colors fade a bit with time, ash shades, especially cool ones, tend to lighten up quicker.
Blame it on sun exposure, frequent washing, or that hot shower you love.
But don’t worry!
The fade can actually be pretty graceful, giving you a chic washed-out look for a while.
Plus, there are plenty of tricks to help maintain that rich tone, like using color-protecting shampoos or throwing on a hat when the sun’s too bright.
The more love you show your hair, the longer your color will last!
With proper care, you can typically stretch the time between touch-ups to about 4-6 weeks.
What color does ash purple hair fade into?
As this color fades, it will likely start to look more like a light blonde or gray color.
This can make it look dirty!
You can use a color refresher shampoo and conditioner to restore some of the color pigment. Purple shampoos are fantastic and easy way to freshen up your look.
A purple toner can also be used to help keep your hair looking its best for longer. You’ll need to pick a cool toned toner to get the best effect.
Ash Purple Hair TLC: Maintenance Tips
So, you’ve got that pristine ash purple hue. Now, how do you keep it looking salon-fresh for weeks to come? Here’s a handy guide:
- Washing Frequency: While it might be tempting to wash your hair daily, try to limit shampooing to 2-3 times a week. This helps retain the color vibrancy.
- Specialty Products: Always use color-protecting shampoos and conditioners. Brands often release products tailored for specific hair colors, so keep an eye out for those suited for purples or ash tones.
- Cold Showers: We get it, cold showers might not be the most inviting, but they certainly help in locking in hair color. Hot water can strip away color, so even a lukewarm rinse can make a world of difference.
- UV Protection: The sun’s rays can be harsh on colored hair. Consider hair products with UV protection or stylishly don a hat on those super sunny days.
No matter how you choose to wear it, ash purple hair is a surefire way to make a statement. With these tips, you can achieve the perfect smoking look in no time.
Found your perfect ash purple shade? We’d love to see it! Tag us on Instagram @colouredhaircare or Facebook and share your hair dye success stories. Looking for more hair care tips? Check out How to Look After Colored Hair: 11 Expert Secrets For Long-Lasting Color.